DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What will be the effect on the suspension of the vehicle as the battery pack tends to increase the overall weight of the electric vehicle compared to its weight before conversion?

What measures should be taken to keep the comfort as it was before conversion?

Should the spring stiffness be increased in order to reduce the effects of increased weight?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Please stop posting your assignments questions here. We are not here to do your homework for you, especially since you are not wanting to learn.

You've already been caught, stop bullshitting.

·
Registered
121 Posts
What will be the effect on the suspension of the vehicle as the battery pack tends to increase the overall weight of the electric vehicle compared to its weight before conversion?

Should the spring stiffness be increased in order to reduce the effects of increased weight?
looking at the questions you are asking, it seems like you are lacking basic automotive knowledge, let alone trying to do a conversion of the toyota yaris and now asking about suspension.

Homework or not, if you want to take this seriously, please take the time to read up on car stuff before trying to do this electric conversion. The world is not a school where you ask a question and someone will answer. go find the answers yourself or you'll end up not knowing whether what you are told is right or wrong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
At its simplest, yes the spring rate should be increased in proportion to the new axle load. However the damping should also be increased in proportion to maintain ride frequencies. In reality it's far more complex than this, depending on the bush stiffness's, where the weight is in the vehicle (centre or ends, height) etc.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Ahhhhh... go buy a book on EV conversion or something. Or read about it online. There are lots of articles on increased weight in a vehicle.

A

·
Registered
952 Posts
Hah you can try this with couple of sacks of cement in a trunk.

You can loose weight to gain performance. My sailplane instructor always told us the only way to fly better for a pilot is to loose weight :). You can allways add more balast later.

You can try that, but again that means $$$!

·
Registered
121 Posts
You can try that, but again that means $$$!
it's not whether or not he can try, nor is it about the money.

it's a must. it's clear and simple. it's physics. unless you wish to break your suspension or put a hole in your wheel well.

this information can be found easily on the internet, or can also be easily worked out if you know the basic engineering foundations. considering what he plans to do, yet merely asking questions and expecting straight answers shows the neglect in putting in effort in the thought process.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's not a big deal. My batteries weight about 600 lbs. That's like having 3 of my friends in the car. I did put air shocks on the rear for better ride control.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
It's not a big deal. My batteries weight about 600 lbs. That's like having 3 of my friends in the car. I did put air shocks on the rear for better ride control.
It's not a big deal... until you want to put your 3 friends (or cargo) in the car while it also has the battery mass. Of course, if you don't mind converting a usable gas-engined car to a single-seat no-cargo EV, then don't worry about the weight. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,294 Posts

Your assumption that weight will be increased is faulty. Weight of the battery pack totally depends on battery capacity and chemistry.

A lead-acid conversion with a 40 mile range would likely weigh more than stock. A LiFePO4 conversion with similar capacity will not.... so no problem.

There are tons of 'tuning' tricks to adjust for higher or lower weight, smoother or bumpier roads, and whether the weight is 'sprung' or 'unsprung' in the case of wheel/hub motors. You can change spring rates, shocks, and tire profile to make a big difference in feel. raw weight matters in accel and braking of course.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts