DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just installing my elcon 400w DC-DC converter and could not find out if it matters which way up it is - i know for the elcon chargers - elcon recommend an orientation presumably due to cooling performance but does anyone know if it matters for the DC-DC converter - for neatness i want to install it upside down ?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To explain this a little more the kit car I'm building was originally designed for a zetec engine and the bracket for the top nearside engine mount (gearbox actually) is the perfect size for the DC DC converter almost like it was disigned to hold it :)- just made up an alloy plate to create some mounting holes.

but it would also fit upside down under the bracket this would lower the weight a little and tuck more neatly in the chassis i guess the hot air coming from the fins would not rise quite so neatly but not sure if this would be a big issue?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would call elcon and ask. I don’t see why it would affect anything but I would hate to have you dry your controller over something like that. I imagine as long as it’s getting enough airflow it should be fine.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I wouldn't.

The way the case goes together, you may have some serious moisture-related problems because you changed a shed into a bucket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts