DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
This is my first post and I’m hoping against hope that someone else has figured out the way to integrate the above charger into their vehicles system. I am in the process of converting my 1953 army truck to electric. I have 12 Tesla modules in two packs of 6 each connected in 2P3S and then paralleled together for 144-ish volts and 500-ish amp-hours. These supply power to two Curtis controllers which in turn drive the HPEVs AC35x2 motors. All of this wiring I understand and have completed. The teslas are managed by a Dilithium BMSC and one BMSS, all wired up and testing fine. Here is my issue:
I bought the Elcon 6.6 from EVWest specifically for this system, so I’m pretty sure it will work correctly when I can figure out what all the wires with the fancy connectors are that came pre-installed on the charger. I can figure out the J1772 connection, but there is no place I’ve found where a wiring diagram showing the charger, BMS, J1772, ACVS all connected up.
This is the first time I’ve done this and I’m sure it’s pretty straight forward, but it’s all a bit intimidating to me. EVWest, bless their hearts, have pieces of the puzzle, but not an overall schematic, despite having done hundreds of these conversions. If anyone can help with this, I’d let you drive the truck when it’s done😀
Thanks,
John Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Cable

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remy, I like your taste in alcohols!
That is the main schematic I’ve been using thus far. The only issue is that it shows a generic charger. I am hoping someone has installed an Elcon and can show me where the other wires go. It has straightforward power in and power out wiring. But then there is wiring to the BMS and something else unidentified (small gauge wiring) Not shown in EVWest s diagram. Michael Bream cautioned me against using that diagram for specific equipment, but then has been silent on specifics…liability?
Thanks for your response!
John

·
Registered
287 Posts
Only difference with the ElCon charger is the CANbus connection (if your unit is CAN-enabled). Two connections from the BMS to the charger, a high and a low CAN connection.

Does the Dilithium BMS have charger control over CANbus?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, ReiderM
There are two models of Elcon 6.6 available and I got the one that is not Canbus enabled. I see a 20 gauge white wire with a waterproof plug on the end emanating from the same point in the charger as the “14V Power” black and red 18 gauge wires. Would that go to the Dilithium BMS?
I appreciate your help!
John

·
Registered
287 Posts
I believe that the 14v power is a power source needed for the charger, which is connected to the 12v battery. The 20awg white white is an enable input: when you send +12v to the 20awg wire, it will turn on the charger. I'd have the BMS control this white enable wire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts