DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been working on a 67 VW single cab conversion. I have it running and driving and finishing up the battery charger.

My question is this charger was used on 18batteries, 6V, 108V system.
ALG 116 120V1K5W 54 cell

Can I use this on my 12batteries 144V 105 ah system? or will I need to change algogorithms?

Or if I used how it is I wouldnt get a full charge?

thanks for all your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
... 108V system. ALG 116 120V1K5W 54 cell

Can I use this on my 12batteries 144V 105 ah system? or will I need to change algogorithms?
You can't use a 108 V nominal charger on a 144 V system without changing the voltage somehow. It will not charge at all. The charger will think that the 108 V battery is very full.

Or if I used how it is I wouldnt get a full charge?
You will get no charge at all. Not 108/144 = 75% charge, it just doesn't work that way.

You'll need a new charger altogether. 144/120 = 120%, so the charger will be at 120% of its nominal (120 V) voltage even with a completely flat battery (144.0 V). Even flat out, the 120 V charger will not put out any more than something like 160 V, which is only 160/12 = 13.3 V per 12 V module. That's not even a float charge, let alone a proper bulk charge.

It's just too big a change. Sell your 120 V charger and get a 144 V charger. Internally, the difference is a change in turns ratio for the transformer, and perhaps a dozen components change value. But then you also need new values in EEPROM and flash memory, and it's just not worth the extreme trouble. Elcon in Sacramento can't help you with that, only "algorithm" changes.

If your charger is 2014 or later, then as far as I know there isn't even a schematic diagram publicly available.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I ended up ordering a PFC 2500 from Elcon. It took me a while but I understand now that the PFC 1500 will not put out more than a 108 Volt and wound not even turn on if I hooked it up.

This is all new to me and enjoying the learning process.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have another question for the experts.

I added another 12V battery to my pack from to 12 to 13 and voltage is up to 163V. My Elcon 2500 was set upf or the 12 batteries and shows 153Volts when fully charged.

The big question what would happen is I use the charger as is for now until I send it back to set for the extra battery.

I can always un hook it charge be itself and pack with the on board charger.
kind of pia.

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have another question for the experts.

I added another 12V battery to my pack from to 12 to 13 and voltage is up to 163V. My Elcon 2500 was set upf or the 12 batteries and shows 153Volts when fully charged.

The big question what would happen is I use the charger as is for now until I send it back to set for the extra battery.

I can always un hook it charge be itself and pack with the on board charger.
kind of pia.

thanks
These chargers are typically programed for 10 different charge curves. usually there is a label on the charger that tells you the different configurations for each curve. maybe several different voltages and Ah capacities. Maybe you have a curve already programmed for 78 cells which is what you have with 13 12v batteries. 2V per cell 6 cells per battery. Assuming you are using lead acid batteries.

To reprogram you hold the button on the side in while you power up and let go when the desired number of LED flashes occur corresponding to the curve you want to use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts