DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an Elcon PFC2500 charger. I happened to notice today that the bicolor LED was completely off. According to Elcon:

If the LED is not lit then either the AC input fuse is blown (the AC fans don't go through the fuse) or the auxiliary power supply is dead. If you hear a faint click when the charger is plugged in, the AC fuse is OK. The auxiliary power supply is not repairable.
Has anyone else seen this? It happened quite suddenly, as far as I can tell (meaning, not when first plugged in, for example). I connected to the EVSE this morning, watched it for several seconds, saw that it was on and charging (LED=red) and then went in to work. At lunch it hadn't charged very much and that's when I saw the LED was off (though the fans were running).

I also asked Elcon where is the fuse and how can I test the aux power supply, to which they replied:

The AC input fuse is inside the charger. You cannot test the auxiliary power supply.
Well, of course it can be tested! Right? If it's a power supply it must output power, and I should be able to measure that. But I guess "where" is the secret (along with the location of the AC input fuse).

Has anyone opened up one of these units?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks! Looks like there is a lot there. I've since gotten some more information. I removed the cover to my charger. The AC input fuse is fine. You can see that the relay however is not (look at the close-up photo).

Here is the response to this from Elcon:

If the 15V supply fails, the relay doesn't turn on and all the current flows through the soft start resistors which get very hot and melt the relay.
And they are now telling me it is not repairable.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts