DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a owner of an Elcon TC Charger 1.8KW. When I try to charge the battery, the Wrong Battery error constantly appears, but it seems like there is no problem with wiring or polarity. However, when I measured the voltage in the Output HV connector the voltage is the value it was supposed to be. Could have a internal error (blow fuse, loose track) with the charger's pack voltage recognition system? Or I didn't try all troubleshooting possible to secure that the charger is broken?

I appreciate any help.

The datasheet of the charger:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dXXGFgRr4YN79EiPOBqykYDX1bCCHG7x/view?usp=sharing

·
Registered
780 Posts
I believe you should have 10 varying charge setpoint profiles to choose from.

Is the right one selected?

That generic manual won't tell you those custom programmed setpoints, were you given a rough printout, or is there a table written on a sticker?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

I received the charger pre programmed. But I think the profile was select right, because I charged the pack a few times already. The is a way to see the actual configuration or reprogram the charger?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
The older versions have a fuse on the output circuit, if it has blown then the controller will not be able to read the battery voltage, and it will not start charging. It will flash the wrong battery code.

i have never seen inside the newer version such as yours, so we don't know where or how to access the fuse.

·
Registered
780 Posts
There might be a button underneath a sticker that lets you verify your profile or select a different one.

Google has the details.

But with such a new model, try your sales channel tech support first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You already open a TC charger?? Because I'm afraid of open mine and break it permanently just for open it. You cant tell me if I will have to be super careful or the charger it's not so hard to open?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Said nothing about opening it.

The ones I've seen just put a sticker over the profile button. With the ten profiles written on the charger.

And clear instructions for how to verify which setting it's on and how to change it if you want.

None of this requires opening anything, just scraping a bit of sticker from off the button.

Maybe not a feature of new ones?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Looks like they filled it with swiss cheese...haha. They are trying to make it waterproof to IP67, which means submersion in 1 meter of tap water for 30 minutes with no water intrusion. Does that potting appear like it might be easy to remove, or is it really stuck in there like glue? Be careful to not damage anything if you poke around in there.

They don't want us messing with the new chargers, no buttons and no fuse visible. But if we get our hands on one it will be promptly taken apart and traced out with extreme prejudice.

Since it is a CAN buss charger there is no need for a button to change the custom program curve--you can set it to do whatever you want using CAN commands.

How did you measure the voltage of the output? The charger won't usually put any voltage on the output until it is happy that the battery is connected and within the expected voltage range.

·
Registered
780 Posts
They don't want us messing with the new chargers, no buttons and no fuse visible.

Since it is a CAN buss charger there is no need for a button to change the custom program curve--you can set it to do whatever you want using CAN commands
Aha!

Used to be an add-on option, so that is now standard?

But then preprogrammed with a default self-controlled profile if no CAN signal detected?

I wonder if that interferes with the past (excellent) "failsafe" feature?

Past description:
> The charger expects to receive every second a message with CAN ID 1806E5F4 and 8-byte data with the voltage and current requested. If the charger doesn't receive a valid CAN message in 5 seconds, it stops charging until it receives a valid CAN message. The charger sends out every second a CAN status message with voltage, current and status information.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts