DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up our new PFC 3000 Elcon charger today. Wow, nice and light weight and silent. I have it programmed for our Hi-Power cells. We chose this one because it is a dual power input so I can plug into 110 or 220 as needed so I can opportunity charge while away. We will be charging our first pack this weekend. We do have a custom algorithm installed. It should prove to be an excellent algorithm. We will keep posting our progress. Our first pack will be for the MG. Then the Big-E-Bus. We will have a thermal switch connected later so if the pack gets hot it will shut down the charger. We may set it up to shut down if any battery block goes over voltage. This way we don't need to monitor all the cells but blocks of cells. We will be monitoring AH in and out. In the mean time we will charge a few times while watching closely the voltages of all cells. I't s a small pack and will first be charged out of the vehicle in a safe non flammable area.

Pete :)

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
I picked up our new PFC 3000 Elcon charger today. Wow, nice and light weight and silent. I have it programmed for our Hi-Power cells. We chose this one because it is a dual power input so I can plug into 110 or 220 as needed so I can opportunity charge while away. We will be charging our first pack this weekend. We do have a custom algorithm installed. It should prove to be an excellent algorithm. We will keep posting our progress. Our first pack will be for the MG. Then the Big-E-Bus. We will have a thermal switch connected later so if the pack gets hot it will shut down the charger. We may set it up to shut down if any battery block goes over voltage. This way we don't need to monitor all the cells but blocks of cells. We will be monitoring AH in and out. In the mean time we will charge a few times while watching closely the voltages of all cells. I't s a small pack and will first be charged out of the vehicle in a safe non flammable area.

I am thinking about buying a 3 KW elcon charger for my coming 38 series thundersky pack. What parameters are adjustable, and how? Do the factory set an, by you chosen, algorithm?

Thinking about charging each cell to 3,65 v, and I would like the ability to set current down to 0,7 A at charging end to match a new BMS I might buy. Do you know if this is possible?
:)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to let your supplier know what batteries, total AH, Total Battery count, Your BMS End voltage limit and low voltage limit so it matches your BMS.

I am not using a BMS. My supplier put in 10 different voltage ranges for my top final charge voltages. The charge curve is custom for our needs. We end the charge at 2amps and not at 0 amps. So we have 10 different voltage settings and we can add or subtract a cell or two if needed and safely charge our pack to the proper voltages with no damage to the cells.

Not all suppliers will do this. Some suppliers will charge less or charge more for the same charger. Shop around and ask what they will do for you on the charge curves. The charger can hold up to 10 settings.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Soon enough. Patience is a virtue. I will let you know how it works out for both chargers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts