DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi EVeryone!

I am currently on my third electric conversion, and have made lots of new friends in the EVer community.

Another converter and I have decided to document his 300V AC Dodge Neon conversion.

We have started making "How-To Convert" videos on that project.
I am posting them freely to the web.

I also have other videos about my electric motorcycle and "Electro-Metro" electric Geo conversion.

Check out:
http://www.metacafe.com/f/channels/bennelson
http://www.youtube.com/user/BenjaminNelson

Or my new electric car video blog:
http://greencarvideos.blogspot.com/

Thanks for watching!

-Ben Nelson

PS: If you like the videos, please rate them highly and/or subscribe! This helps me keep making more videos!

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Hi EVeryone!
... "Electro-Metro" electric Geo conversion.

love the video.... but want more details and close-ups. ;)
In particular, right now I am looking for the elusive 'swtched' 12v ignition wire to run to my contactor.... little tidbits like this are what I'm after.

how about a 'walk-thru' on racks front to back, show mount points, etc.

I am doing a 1997 metro/swift and still debating on exact rear rack design and whether to stick the circuit breaker under the floor, or wire-pull under the hood.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Just so you know, my setup uses the ignition coil wire, going to a relay, going to the main contactor, to turn the car on and off.
The Contactor, fuse, and charger interlock are in the trunk of the car.
hhhmmmm, in mine all the 'stuff' is under the hood, including the charger, except the 400amp fuse which will be in the rear battery box. I need to grab the 12v 'switched' ignition wire, and run it thru my charger interlock, then to coil-driven main contactor.

Sounds like a similar situation except you put the stuff in the back.... what I really need to know is exactly where is that 'ignition coil wire' in the engine bay?! I don't really know what to look for.... I am not 'that' familiar with electronics and/or auto electronics. I just need somebody to point at it and say 'that's the one'. ;)

On a followup detail, did you pull power for your vacuum pump from an existing circuit, or run a clean wire off your 12v battery?

oop. and how about dash lite power? I will need to splice into that to run the nite lights in the gauges.... the mass of wires under dashboards has always scared me.....

thx,
d

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ben,

Great videos and much appreciated and very useful.
This will give a lot of confidence to a lot of folks to do-it-themselves!

I've been looking for details on that monster motor because I am interested in AC traction.....brand.....rpm.....power....etc.
Also what controller is going to be used?

Or should I just be patient and wait for the next videos to come out?

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Ben,

you had me at "300V AC". Do you have specs on which motor, controller and batteries you are planning to use?

Now that I have 144V DC "current guzzler" , I am dreaming of a more current efficient high voltage AC design, but there seems to be lack of common components for AC, and those few that exist are too expensive.

Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The big AC motor for the Dodge Neon is a Baldor.

The specs on that motor, along with a "project" overview will be part of the next video.

Won't be able to shoot anymore until Sunday - busy during the week trying to earn a living!

"Major" work on the Dodge Neon conversion is every other Sunday, so I am hoping to make bi-weekly episodes as things progress, along with more short videos about my Metro, which isn't quite finished.

I also need to run some dashboard lighting. My ammeter and voltmeter are useless at night!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.