DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to buy an electric car with 300-400 miles range. Then, I heard about this

"States are being given the go-ahead to build a nationwide network of electric vehicle charging stations that would place new or upgraded stations every 50 miles (80 kilometers)

Does this mean we can start buying electric cars without worrying about their range anymore? Am I right?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
With careful planning, range anxiety has been a flogged dead subject for the past 5 years unless your trips do 1000 miles/1600 k like mine do then it isn't a matter of charge locations but recharge time. I believe a recent American tesla best was east west cross country in about a day.

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
I'm planning to buy an electric car with 300-400 miles range. Then, I heard about this

"States are being given the go-ahead to build a nationwide network of electric vehicle charging stations that would place new or upgraded stations every 50 miles (80 kilometers)

Does this mean we can start buying electric cars without worrying about their range anymore? Am I right?
Not really, in my opinion. Plans like that never actually apply everywhere - typically they mean "every 50 miles along major interstate highways". Even if there really was an ideal network of charging stations, do you want to drive 500 miles in a day by stopping ten times to charge? Do you want to buy electricity from charging stations at much higher prices than you pay at your own home?

No matter how many charging stations there are, range should suit the way the vehicle is actually used. For most people 100 miles would cover most of their driving; for others, 300 miles would be marginal.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

only after you see the charge stations built along the routes you travel. (And verif

Where I live there is no plan like you describe for any of the roads I drive in the next decade.

Much of the country will no have infrastructure installed that densely

heck I would be happy with public l2 but it’s extremely rare as well

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
... Then, I heard about this

I wondered where that came from, because in general governments don't build charging stations, and states (of the USA) would not need permission from anyone else to build them if they wanted to.

This turns out to be from ABC News:
States get go-ahead to build electric car charging stations
The "go-ahead" means permission to start spending US federal money to build up EV charging infrastructure. Notice that in the article
Under Transportation Department requirements, states must submit plans to the federal government and can begin construction by this fall if they focus first on highway routes, rather than neighborhoods and shopping centers, that can allow people to take their electric vehicles long distances.
Drive to somewhere in the middle of nowhere, and you're not going to find a charging station, even after this program spends $5 billion in federal money over five years.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
ElectrifyAmerica came to be out of Dieselgate.

Just took a screenshot:

World Map Ecoregion Font Line

I see that good old Wyoming, through which I-84 passes is still a holdout.

Range anxiety got nuthin on cellphone anxiety - no coverage by T-mobile in a lot of these places as well.

There are, finally, chargers at Yellowstone National Park that we noticed last August while I was out that way picking up a vehicle from auction.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Range anxiety got nuthin on cellphone anxiety - no coverage by T-mobile in a lot of these places as well.
Last May I was watching the cell signal driving through North-ish Saskatchewan. Almost 2 hours without any signal at all. Probably be a while before any sort of charging station shows up there. I'd have been nervous traveling as the car shipped, sans spare tire.

·
Registered
1 Posts

thats great

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not really, in my opinion. Plans like that never actually apply everywhere - typically they mean "every 50 miles along major interstate highways". Even if there really was an ideal network of charging stations, do you want to drive 500 miles in a day by stopping ten times to charge? Do you want to buy electricity from charging stations at much higher prices than you pay at your own home?

No matter how many charging stations there are, range should suit the way the vehicle is actually used. For most people 100 miles would cover most of their driving; for others, 300 miles would be marginal.
That's a valid point. It really depends on how you plan to use your electric car and how comfortable you are with the range it offers. Thanks for sharing your opinion!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
only after you see the charge stations built along the routes you travel. (And verif

Where I live there is no plan like you describe for any of the roads I drive in the next decade.

Much of the country will no have infrastructure installed that densely

heck I would be happy with public l2 but it’s extremely rare as well
I understand that not every part of the country will have the same level of infrastructure when it comes to electric car charging stations. However, I think that plans like the one being put in place by states across the country are a step in the right direction, and will help to make electric cars more accessible and less anxiety-inducing for drivers.

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
Last May I was watching the cell signal driving through North-ish Saskatchewan. Almost 2 hours without any signal at all. Probably be a while before any sort of charging station shows up there. I'd have been nervous traveling as the car shipped, sans spare tire.
Currently it looks like the northernmost public EV charging station in Saskatchewan is in Prince Albert National Park, although to be fair only a tiny fraction of the province's population lives north of there. Even further south, outside of population centres charging stations would be spare... even gas stations are further apart than some people expect charging stations to be.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
What anxiety? That's fossil fuels FUD.

I've never had range anxiety with the Bolt EV...your nav tells you how far your destination is and the GOM tells you remaining range.

Lots of places to top off a charge if you're cutting it close.

Never understood why people take their own cars on long trips...better to rent.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Currently it looks like the northernmost public EV charging station in Saskatchewan is in Prince Albert National Park, although to be fair only a tiny fraction of the province's population lives north of there. Even further south, outside of population centres charging stations would be spare... even gas stations are further apart than some people expect charging stations to be.
What I hadn't expected was one of the gas stations along the highway to be seasonal and didn't open until early June. Spread out, remote areas like that will be darn hard to wean off of fossil fuels. The charging network would have to be such that if one station is down unexpectedly, the next one isn't 100 miles away.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What anxiety? That's fossil fuels FUD.

I've never had range anxiety with the Bolt EV...your nav tells you how far your destination is and the GOM tells you remaining range.

Lots of places to top off a charge if you're cutting it close.

Never understood why people take their own cars on long trips...better to rent.
Yup, buy the car that covers 95% of your driving (commuting for me). Rent the rest.

I rented a Jeep Wrangler the winter before last when the roads were snowed in. The little Volt tried its best but couldn't even get down the street. Not a reason to drive a Jeep all year, though.

Snow Automotive design Hood Tree Freezing

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
Yup, buy the car that covers 95% of your driving (commuting for me). Rent the rest.

I rented a Jeep Wrangler the winter before last when the roads were snowed in. The little Volt tried its best but couldn't even get down the street. Not a reason to drive a Jeep all year, though.

View attachment 127746
That makes sense, but it takes planning. Finding an AWD vehicle for last-minute rental when it snows takes luck, and now finding any suitable vehicle for rental without an advance reservation is difficult.

·
Registered
1 Posts
During my visit to CES, I saw a new electric car company. They also have EVs with a 300-400 mile range. The design I see is also normal. The name is Vinfast. If you want to know, you can google it and try it

1 - 20 of 27 Posts