DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Electric conversion ! Any one who has accomplished the task??

2K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  northcoast 
#1 ·
Has anyone replaced the corvair engine with a dc motor ? And if so, is the transmission being used with the electric motor or a direct drive unit replacement of transmission?

#2 ·
There have been discussions of Corvair conversions in this forum, generally with plans to use the original transmission. It's worth doing a search within the forum to find them and do some reading. Most projects are not completed (and most are not even started), but there should still be some good information there.

#3 ·
Yes, I have thought about that. I own a 1961 Monza 900 and I would keep the transmission and clutch. The 4 speed transmission with synchro low would be recommended. Batteries in the light weight front frunk would make Ralph Nader happy. Perhaps the front wheel cylinders from a Chevy II would help equalize braking,

#5 ·
I'm considering a Corvair conversion myself. This person has done a very good job of it...

#9 ·
How well does your Corvair EV run with the PowerGlide? Do you have an external pump to drive the transmission hydraulics when stopped at a traffic light, or do you just start up from zero each time? I've heard that most EV conversions with manual transmission are set permanently in 2nd or 3rd gear, so there's really no need to bother with installing a shifter mechanism if you're switching from an automatic.

#12 ·
My sixth EV conversion by a company in Utah has an automatic transmission with torque converter. Tried it both with an idle speed and no idle speed. Works fine either way. I would have used a manual transmission, but that's the way it came. The Park position is worth its weight in gold, for it assures the car won't roll away. Safety first.

#20 ·
The biggest difference is simply the placement and connection of components. The output is at the rear of the main transmission section, but that is into the final drive (differential) housing that is directly attached, rather than to an open shaft. The torque converter is mounted to the engine but that's behind everything else instead of in front, so hollow shafts are used to take the drive into the transmission. That arrangement changes major shafts and every housing.

Thanks! So the Corvair PG influenced the larger models instead of the other way around.
I think that the article is saying that the path of evolution was original Chevrolet Powerglide, then Turboglide, then Corvair Powerglide, then aluminum Powerglide... but the point is that while all are related they're not quite the same so specific parts and modification techniques for one may not work for the others. The details would need to be verified before assuming anything about a modification.

#18 ·
Learned something new looking into this one, including the "switch-pitch" torque converter of the Turboglide:

"Corvair Powerglide was an all-new design, but borrowed a couple small parts from Chevrolet Turboglide and its operating concept is very similar to conventional Chevy Powerglide. Aluminum Powerglide, introduced in the conventional Chevrolet models in 1962 (starting with Chevy II) incorporated many features pioneered by Corvair Powerglide, scaled up slightly for the larger passenger car and light truck lines."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.