DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to find time recently to test my electric heat in my Saturn conversion. I used a ceramic heat element out of a 1500 watt AC heater that I purchased at the local hardware store. It cost about $20. I cut out the plastic shroud that holds the heat element and bonded it to a metal plate that matches the dimensions of the original heater core. When cold this thing measures about 40 ohms so I do not want to connect it directly to my 16.8 KW battery. I built a power supply that is pulse width modulated so that I can control the current and switch it on and off with low voltage controls. A relay pulls in when the fan is turned on so that it can not produce heat without the fan running. I just push a button and turn on the fan to get heat. The air coming out of the vents is about 102 F. In a few minuets the interior of the car reaches 81.3 F on a 42 F day. The heater operates on approx. 12 amps and 120 volts. 14 gauge wire between the power supply and the ceramic element is more than adequate. The power supply will turn off by a thermostat in the heater compartment when the preset temperature is reached. I am getting some Anderson connectors to connect the power supply to the 120 volt battery.
The best part is that the range of the car is not seriously affected. Running the heater constantly for an hour could take 8 miles off the range but I don't really need 81.3 F when I am wearing a winter coat. I have driven 62 miles on a charge so, I could still go 54 miles without any concern.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't really need 81.3 F when I am wearing a winter coat.
I just got my heater working, after going three years without. In fact, today was my first drive with heat. I used a similar ceramic element from a hardware store space heater, like you. It works well. 55 F felt like a tropical day on the beach.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts