DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I would like to share some progress on my build.
I have been a long time creeper on this forum and I figured I would take some time to post something finally.

I'm trying to make a really fast motorcycle! 250mph+ fast

Battery is Lifepo4 22kWh
425V max 118s15p with 4 Ah cells

I originally was going to use some surplus LG M50 cells I had(10k new in boxes), but I got some LiFePO4 from a trade that would work perfect. The LG's wouldn't provide the power I needed and would be heavier. The LG's would need more design work to make them a battery pack too. The LiFe cells were bolt on terminals and easily configurable.

Drivetrain is a UQM. Hopefully it will be enough, but I can always upgrade if I find something better

Chassis is custom

Feel free to ask questions!

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,157 Posts
You almost certainly know this - But it's all down to the details of the streamlining - the various holes and breaks - like the ones the wheels come out of will contribute at least 50% of the drag
Those areas NEED the attention spent on them

Just a thought - have you considered using a camera and screen or VR glasses rather than a windscreen?

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Where do you plan to race? i.e. whose rules? Very interesting
It doesn't appear to meet Bonneville requirements, or SCTA. Always good to see new comers. Don't see many 2-wheel streamliners. We went APS, partial streamliner, sit-on, not sit-in. I think our 215.960 mph electric record still stands. To break that, you need better aero.

See those "after thought" stabilizers? Better trade those for retractable landing gear. Anyway, good luck.

major

·
Registered
508 Posts
Lightning still holds the sit-on record but KillaJoule has the fastest overall speed for electric motorcycles (granted, it's a sidecar).

I like what I've seen so far with this build though even if the frame isn't (yet) quite compliant. I'm also interested in timeline goal: BMST 2019? Speed Week? We need more info!

:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The cells I'm using are 3.2V 4Ah. I can run the at 20C for about 3 minutes with minimal heat generation. I have no clue what brand they are, I acquired them through a recycling deal. I will have them in a 118s15p configure with individual over charge protection circuits.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
The cells I'm using are 3.2V 4Ah. I can run the at 20C for about 3 minutes with minimal heat generation. I have no clue what brand they are, I acquired them through a recycling deal. I will have them in a 118s15p configure with individual over charge protection circuits.
You do realize that 3 minutes at 20C rate is full discharge?

Could you show us a confirming test?

And please, don't get the wrong idea. I (we) like what you're doing and are trying to help. Both Frank and I know how hard 200+mph is, especially 2-wheel electric. Been there/done that.

major

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where do you plan to race? i.e. whose rules? Very interesting project!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I am planning on running the bike for shake down at El Mirage and then at Bonneville next summer. I dont know if I will be able to get the body work done in time. I work full time as an engineer for Lithium Ion Battery Systems (which means we are always busy trying to get batteries out the door!).

I will be running in the SCTA, this will guarantee me a record if I make it down the track

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You do realize that 3 minutes at 20C rate is full discharge?

Could you show us a confirming test?

And please, don't get the wrong idea. I (we) like what you're doing and are trying to help. Both Frank and I know how hard 200+mph is, especially 2-wheel electric. Been there/done that.

major
Major,
I do realize that.
I develop, design and build EV batteries for the Global market for a living. I also have several performance batteries under my belt. My racing profile does not require a full discharge. As for sending you a confirmation test, I don't run a daq at home.

I would more interested in finding out more about the logistics of running electric at the salt. Whats the support set up look like?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...also would like more details on the driveline. :)
It's a stock pp100 set up, but I may be going the way of a propitiatory set up soon(so no more info unfortunately)

That being said, I'll have a motor and inverter for sale if anybody is interested. It was out of a Coda with a GVCU from EVTV.

I'll be moving to a can controlled arduino setup for my VCU

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Twice. Takes two passes for the record.

I'd love to get back to Bonneville. To watch you might be the motivation I need.

Good luck,

major
Thanks! I have a couple of our Gasser old timer's helping out with chassis and chain guide design.

I live close to Jack Castillo and Duncan Keller (both legends in there own)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lightning still holds the sit-on record but KillaJoule has the fastest overall speed for electric motorcycles (granted, it's a sidecar).

I like what I've seen so far with this build though even if the frame isn't (yet) quite compliant. I'm also interested in timeline goal: BMST 2019? Speed Week? We need more info!

:D
Quick question, what about the frame doesn't look compliant?
I've had a couple of streamliner guys come out to look at it and I haven't gotten any major concerns.
I'm still bracing up the side rails and going to add a firewall and driver protection. Any thing else I'm missing?

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
... I would more interested in finding out more about the logistics of running electric at the salt. Whats the support set up look like?
"support set up"? You bring everything you need. Basically all they do is timing and inspection.

You might want to talk with Richard, team principle at Lightning. Drop my name if you want to get his attention.

Attachments do not work on this site today. I was going to post picture of my other 200mph electric, a streamliner by BYU. If their website is still up, you might see some of the logistical and support equipment. That had 4 wheels, but front two were nearly in-line and rear track was like 20 inches.

Regards,

major

1 - 20 of 28 Posts