DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new to this whole ev thing but am really interested and have started looking for a car. I have done some research and have read some books and have decided that converting a Geo Metro would be perfect for my needs. The question I have right now is what motor and controller to go with. I was hoping to go with a 72V system in order to keep costs down. (I would like to do this conversion under 4 grand). I have seen a few kits out there but was just wondering what motor would be the best for this type of application.

A couple motors on the top of my list are:
Advanced DC A00-4009, 24-72V, 12hp
D&D Motor MO-ES-15A-6, 48-72V, 10hp

Does anyone have an opinion on what motor would be better? Or if there is a better motor out there that I don't have listed?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
I am doing a 72V motorbike conversion and am planning to use a Mars ME0709 motor for 72V 300A. Its a permanent magnet motor so regen is pretty easy. I'm pairing it with a Kelly controller with regen. For a link to an electric motorbike that uses the same parts check out emoto's page.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
So no opinions on the specific motors I have listed then?
I think either of those motors should be fine for a Geo Metro. EV of America recommended the A00 for my Civic for a 72 volt system. The ES-15A seems to run great on the VW Bugs, Civics and a few Geos also with good performance. The kits that use them should be great ways to get started in an EV conversion and under $4k should be quite doable for a Metro.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts