DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to convert my Ford E series van, It has a Ujoint off suspension and drive train. Just want to see what kind of juice I would need for this size van also some mild offroad. I just imagine the electric engine with way more torque and doing those hills easier Idk... Guys point me in the right direction I mean can this be done?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
You probably want at minimim 150-200kw (200-300hp) available.

There are several motor/controller combos that would probably have enough power:

• a dual 9" DC system with a soliton or Z2K controller. potentially ridiculous amounts of power, but motor heating might be an issue.
  • an Azure AC90 / DMOC645, if you can find one. (this one is about 100kw, but 500ft-lbs)
  • A big Siemens AC motor and a reinhart inverter.
In all 3 cases you probably want to keep at least the 2 speed transfer case. You might also want to keep a stick shift, though only 2 or 3 ratios would really be necessary. Another option would be direct drive the transfer case, but have a divorced overdrive unit on the rear.

Bigger question is probably your range expectation. You will need quite a big battery in such a vehicle to get much range.

A fellow in my local EV club as a converted F250 super cab 4x4. It has the equivalent of 2.5 nissan leaf packs in it, and gets about 70-80 miles range at 500-800wh/mile. You would probably be in a similar ballpark.

EDIT: with a lift like the pictures you show, figure 1000wh/mile if you are going at freeway speed. Ouch.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys are the best and the electric motor thing slipped over my head as I'm brand new to all of this. I need to look into everything you mentioned about the conversion but I'm glad it can be done. I was looking into a company called VIA motors they use an electric motor for these 4x4 trucks and vans but it is a hybrid in a way because they use a v6 to charge the generator essentially getting 100 mpg.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
If you are thinking hybrid more than pure electric, look into using the hybrid transfer case (if not the entire drive train) out of a cadillac escalade hybrid. 150hp of electric motor in there to supplement the gas engine. Maybe put a 4cyl of 6cyl diesel in front of it to replace the 6.0.

of course, putting that xfer case behind a diesel, maybe a bigger-than-stock battery enough for useful electric-only range, and getting all those oem pieces to work together in ways they weren't intended for will be no small feat. But it would be cool.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Many years ago I had a 1961 E-100 Econoline with a 200 CI 6 cylinder engine and it moved pretty good and got about 24 MPG. Then I got a 1966 E-102 supervan with windows all around and extended wheelbase, and I swapped the engine from the first van to my "new" one and drove it until it was ready to fall apart. I only paid $40 for the first van!

Anyway, that engine was probably no more than 130 HP or 100 kW and an electric motor half that size, maybe 60-75 HP, should be adequate, unless you plan to do heavy hauling at high speeds. About 500 W-h/mile sounds about right - you might do a lot better at less than turnpike speeds.

Do you have a picture of your van?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts