DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I am currently making an electric drive compressor. The compressor is usually driven by a diesel engine.
I have taken the battery pack and motor from a Nissan Leaf. The transmission has been removed so I will be driving directly from the motor.
Given I do not need the items required in a car such as air con, power steering etc is there any reasonably straight forward way of wiring this up in order to achieve a constant motor speed of around 1800/2000rpm.
Has anyone any experience of anything like this and how best to go about it.
Any help is much appreciated.
Gerald

·
Registered
726 Posts
Hi All, I am currently making an electric drive compressor. The compressor is usually driven by a diesel engine.
I have taken the battery pack and motor from a Nissan Leaf. The transmission has been removed so I will be driving directly from the motor.
Given I do not need the items required in a car such as air con, power steering etc is there any reasonably straight forward way of wiring this up in order to achieve a constant motor speed of around 1800/2000rpm.
Has anyone any experience of anything like this and how best to go about it.
Any help is much appreciated.
Gerald
Size of the diesel and compressor? HP, CFM, original drive system (direct ,belts, gearbox?) End use? If you use the Leaf stuff, you're messing with a higher level of danger 400VDC system that requires a sophisticated($) non-OEM motor controller or a complicated hack of the original controller. Have you thought about a much cheaper and safer lower voltage brushed motor system? If you are running at a constant speed, motor control is much cheaper and easier. You may not even need an electronic motor controller

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
The motor requires 3-phase AC power synchronized to the motor shaft position (not just at the right frequency). That means you need an inverter which reads the shaft position. Of course the original Leaf inverter does that, but to use it you need to figure out the simplest way to tell the control logic to run at the target speed... essentially like driving the Leaf on cruise control.

Is there a reason why you want to drive the compressor at a constant speed, rather than varying the speed to match the demand, maintaining a constant pressure? Is it a variable-displacement compressor?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts