DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, this is NOT a perpetual motion thread.

Im wanting to replicate what this company has done.

They put a high output Generator/Alternator under the hood of a van, in line with the Belt system

To provide power to an inverter, then to another Electric motor that mechanically drives a vacuum pump and high pressure pump for a carpet cleaning system.

Could anyone point me in the direction of company's that make similar components?

Power needs are roughly 20HP for the equipment

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Depending on the base vehicle, it is possible that a 4wd manual transmission will do what you want. Jeep ford chevy dodge, your choice. Or graft a borg warner 13-40 series transfer case

·
Registered
217 Posts
Why not just put a PTO on the gearbox and drive the vacuum and hp pump direct , so much more efficient .

Iveco Daily 4x4 55S17W has 3 x PTO outputs , one behind transfer case , one on side of ZF6S400 gearbox and a belt PTO facility on engine.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Where are you located ? ..Europe, USA, ??
Gm fitted a range of cars with belt driven "Altermotors". ( high powered alternators that can also act as motors) ..some as big as 12-15 kW (20 hp).. For what is known as "Mild Hybrid" drives. Saturn is one model that comes to mind.
Continental are also making similar units for Audi / VW and Merc in Europe now for the same application.
One of those units could generate the power, and a twin could act as the motor drive for the compressor/pump. I am gussing you should be able to repurpose much of the controls also.
Sorry , but i dont know of a vendor dealing with these systems pre configured.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Gm fitted a range of cars with belt driven "Altermotors". ( high powered alternators that can also act as motors) ..some as big as 12-15 kW (20 hp).. For what is known as "Mild Hybrid" drives. Saturn is one model that comes to mind.
Continental are also making similar units for Audi / VW and Merc in Europe now for the same application.
One of those units could generate the power, and a twin could act as the motor drive for the compressor/pump. I am gussing you should be able to repurpose much of the controls also.
Sorry , but i dont know of a vendor dealing with these systems pre configured.
Interesting idea. :)
GM calls this BAS (for Belted Alternator Starter).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts