DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Electric mazda RX8 by Voltttan DSC PCM canbus discussion

HI

Hello, I would like to present you my electric Mazda rx8 project. For the construction of which I used elements from other serial electric cars.

Motor inverter, Battery and Bms from a Nissan Leaf.

The charger comes from tesla.

DC / DC converter from Opel ampere.

HVAC PTC and AC compressor from WV E-golf

https://youtu.be/k3apj_kC3cY

https://youtu.be/EyxaXlhrGLQ

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Re: Electric mazda RX8 by Voltttan

Very cool! What did you use for the coupler first the shaft? Are you using something open source for the leaf BMS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Re: Electric mazda RX8 by Voltttan

Very cool! What did you use for the coupler first the shaft? Are you using something open source for the leaf BMS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The clutch is made of old clutch discs from rx8 and suzuki samurai. Bms is not fully programmed yet but the guys from myleaf forum have helped me. How do I find the photo what the coupler looks like

I found

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Did the ac compressor need something can bus related to work?

HI

Hello, I would like to present you my electric Mazda rx8 project. For the construction of which I used elements from other serial electric cars.

Motor inverter, Battery and Bms from a Nissan Leaf.

The charger comes from tesla.

DC / DC converter from Opel ampere.

HVAC PTC and AC compressor from WV E-golf

https://youtu.be/k3apj_kC3cY

https://youtu.be/EyxaXlhrGLQ

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now I am looking for help with a mazda rx8 cab bus. Actually a lot of it is already working but I am trying to run DSC traction control and are seeking help

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Did you keep the PCM?

no, i never had it i bought a mazde without orginal PCM. I try to replace it with my own canbus processor and program. This is a more difficult task but gives greater possibilities to
control devices and use the tachometer as a power indicator

see my video currently shows the phase current of the motor, so you can say the torque

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm converting an RX8 and will be intercepting messages from the PCM before the cluster to achieve the same thing, but whilst keeping the other duties the PCM does - like traction control.

You need to feed it a signal so it thinks the engine is running over certain RPM to get it to switch on power steering amongst other things.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do this, I send information about rpm and many others to canbus, power steering works, I calculate speed and mileage

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Are you putting individual wheel speeds on to the can bus, or do you see them? (message id 4B0)

yes

Code:
recive

case 0x4b0:
               //user code

Speed1=msg[4]*0x100+msg[5];
               Speed2=msg[6]*0x100+msg[7];

//Speed=Speed/2;

Speedbit=3;

send

Speed = (((unsigned long int)Speed1+Speed2)/2);
//Speed=Speed_set; testowo

if (Speedbit>0)
   {
    buf[4] = Speed / 0x100;
    buf[5] = Speed & 0xFF; 
    Speedbit=Speedbit-1;
   }         
   else
      {    
       buf[4] = 0xff; //zmienna_int / 0x100;
       buf[5] = 0xff; //zmienna_int & 0xFF;      
      Speedbit=0;
      }             
buf[6]= App100*2; 

can_tx(10, 0x201, buf, 8);

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Can I ask where you got your info from for the power steering?

there is a lot of information in this forum this frame is necessary for eps

send_0x201() 0,1 rpm 2,3 etorque 4,5 speed 2710h = 0 6 accel pedal 200max

http://www.ev-guide.com/rx8-conversion-blog/2016/3/9/bw485mwkneogsikevudqikz9elzy8i

https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/czech-mazda-rx-8-dc-conversion-88587p18.html
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=373221.0

with EPS it went easy I launched in an hour

https://youtu.be/4tPZ5eN6-4A

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi guys, I am just finishing off my RX8 conversion...

I have a full Arduino code to replace the ECU ;o)

God knows if it works with all RX8's but I have done the following,

Take wheel speed to produce MPH readout
Turn off all warning lights
Turn on power steering - error lights removed after turning wheels full left / right
Take the throttle input, translate and output what my controller needs
Handshake with the KCM (keyless control module) to remove those warning lights (may be RX8 dependant)

To-Do
take canbus from my controller for RPM to work
traction control light - should go out once I drive an extended drive

I have an excel that describes a lot of the communications, yes there are some bits of noise I do not understand and appear to just be constant. You can either shout that noise out, or just ignore it as its likely to be engine related and so not needed.

PM me if you need any help, more than happy to try.

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi guys, I am just finishing off my RX8 conversion...

I have a full Arduino code to replace the ECU ;o)

God knows if it works with all RX8's but I have done the following,

Take wheel speed to produce MPH readout
Turn off all warning lights
Turn on power steering - error lights removed after turning wheels full left / right
Take the throttle input, translate and output what my controller needs
Handshake with the KCM (keyless control module) to remove those warning lights (may be RX8 dependant)

To-Do
take canbus from my controller for RPM to work
traction control light - should go out once I drive an extended drive

I have an excel that describes a lot of the communications, yes there are some bits of noise I do not understand and appear to just be constant. You can either shout that noise out, or just ignore it as its likely to be engine related and so not needed.

PM me if you need any help, more than happy to try.

Dave

I would be interested in your information. I am planing to remove the dash from the CAN bus but keep the ECU. Not sure if this will work, Thoughts? The idea would be to let the ECU continue to transmit and receive the wheel speed and other information from other modules. I can read this on the bus then display what I want onto the dash (remove lights and crap). I am glad that Voltan has the EPS working. I have been looking through this and have not found anyone who has it working, just guesses. I was getting ready to build my own motor driver to run the steering...;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hay - so removing the Dash from the CanBus will mean you need two CanBus controllers. One to communicate with the ECU side, and the other the Dash side.

Doable - but I question the need to keep the ECU? Obviously every build is different but I have removed mine with no ill-effects (so far!!)

EPS is easy to get working (once you know how lol) just fire some RPM on the CanBus - I stick at 1500rpm and the EPS simply works, I think the logic is the EPS wont start unless it thinks the engine is running.

Whichever method you choose, I would advise leaving the ability to reconnect the Dash to the CanBus - that way if things get complex with cross CanBus communications you can always try without the ECU.

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hay - so removing the Dash from the CanBus will mean you need two CanBus controllers. One to communicate with the ECU side, and the other the Dash side.

Doable - but I question the need to keep the ECU? Obviously every build is different but I have removed mine with no ill-effects (so far!!)

EPS is easy to get working (once you know how lol) just fire some RPM on the CanBus - I stick at 1500rpm and the EPS simply works, I think the logic is the EPS wont start unless it thinks the engine is running.

Whichever method you choose, I would advise leaving the ability to reconnect the Dash to the CanBus - that way if things get complex with cross CanBus communications you can always try without the ECU.

Dave

Good point. Maybe I just ditch the ECU then. I was just worried about other modules on the network like the ABS but I guess if I just produce the few messages that are need like rpm, wheel speed and a few others everything should be happy.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts