DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a look at the attached schematic. I have this basic setup together on my workbench and it is working fine. I want to do this right the first time so is there anything I am missing?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Will you need any of this:

Auxillary battery for starting, thru the key switch to the main contactor coil?

HV dc to LV dc converter, for recharging the aux battery?

Lithium charger(s) for the 2 packs?

Someone who has done this might respond with viewpoint of using parallel packs and whether to tie them together before or after the breaker, how to charge, concerns of unbalanced packs, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With this Kelly controller you actually don't need 12v to activate the contactor. It's working perfectly on my bench just like it is drawn here (minus the buss bars and breakers).

·
Registered
838 Posts
Would the charger get connected to the Buss Bar? Or does it need to go through the shunt to tell the monitor how much power got transferred to the batteries?

I would also take steps to protect it from water damage once it is all installed.

But, if I ever own a sailboat, I would want an electric motor on it for sure.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
With this Kelly controller you actually don't need 12v to activate the contactor. It's working perfectly on my bench just like it is drawn here (minus the buss bars and breakers).
So if the controller has an internal dc-dc power supply to make the 12V for the key switch to drive the contactor coil, then somewhere there is a live HV wire going to the controller all the time?

i think most folks here would want to turn off the HV completely when the key if off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts