DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post on the site so not sure how it all works, but any help would be great.

I am basically looking to make a compact, single rider golf cart. I am basing the design off of a mobility scooter.

So far, I am looking to use a 48v 1800w brushless motor with a 48v system/controller. I have been considering 4x 12V 12AH lead acid batteries.

I am wondering if this will be enough power to go up small hills on a golf course, and will the battery last long enough to get through 18 holes? The average round of golf sees about 3-6 miles of distance traveled if that helps. The motor claims an average current draw of 30A. So if the battery's have a 48AH capacity, then 48/30 = 1.6 hours of run time at mid range power? Subtract Losses of course.

I am attempting to do this on a smaller budget of under $800. The photo below is an existing cart that I am roughly designing off of. However I am making mine even more compact and lightweight.

Any insight would be helpful! Does this setup make sense, and would is last a round of golf? considering the budget

Thanks,

James (Canada)

·
Super Moderator
1,548 Posts
Yeah, it'll probably be fine. Cheap E-bikes have batteries that small and they'll do 10 miles at much higher speed.

Lithium might even be cheaper than lead-acid though, and certainly you'll get more capacity and longevity out of them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, this is my first post on the site so not sure how it all works, but any help would be great.

I am basically looking to make a compact, single rider golf cart. I am basing the design off of a mobility scooter.

So far, I am looking to use a 48v 1800w brushless motor with a 48v system/controller. I have been considering 4x 12V 12AH lead acid batteries.

I am wondering if this will be enough power to go up small hills on a golf course, and will the battery last long enough to get through 18 holes? The average round of golf sees about 3-6 miles of distance traveled if that helps. The motor claims an average current draw of 30A. So if the battery's have a 48AH capacity, then 48/30 = 1.6 hours of run time at mid range power? Subtract Losses of course.

I am attempting to do this on a smaller budget of under $800. The photo below is an existing cart that I am roughly designing off of. However I am making mine even more compact and lightweight.
View attachment 122595

Any insight would be helpful! Does this setup make sense, and would is last a round of golf? considering the budget

Thanks,

James (Canada)
Hi James.

I'm looking to do something similar for Ontario courses and wondering how you were making out with your project. For me, I'd like to make something somewhat lightweight and portable/foldable - like a CycleBoard or a motorcycle-type design. An ideal design is the UK-based RolleyGolf creation.

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Newbie here with the same interest.
I'm looking at building a 4 wheel single rider, similar to the Electrokart Ranger - Electrokart Ranger Heavy Duty - Lithium | My Site.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Product Tread

Am looking at using a 24v 500w 2500 rpm permanent magnet motor, 2 - 12v 22 ah lead acid batteries and chain drive.
I could opt for the LiFePO4 batteries, but for my limited use, the price doesn't justify it.
Again, does this set-up look as though it would handle a 200 lb rider and 50 lbs of clubs and gear for 18 holes with a max speed of 15 mph?
Thanks for any assistance on this - really appreciate it, Rich

1 - 4 of 4 Posts