DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning from Michigan, US!

I've been looking to build an electric skid steer for about a year now. I've seen a few on YouTube, and there are a few commercial ones that use lead acid, so it has been done!

Here's what I have so far:
Complete Chevy Volt Gen 1 battery pack ~125k miles. Was working when pulled out.
Cat 246b Skid steer with blown motor here's a link to its specs. Of note it's an 80HP turbo diesel @ ~3400RPM

Here's what I need (high level):
Electric motor/controller
Charging system
BMS
DC/DC converter.

Here's some questions I need to answer that I'd love some thoughts from you all on:
What kind of equivalent HP electric motor do I need?
  • These tend to run at a pretty constant RPM and I don't intend to use it for hard work all day
  • I'm not sure whether to go AC/DC - I do have a limited budget. Which is better for value?
  • Are there big enough forklift motors that would move over to skid steer land?

Depending on the motor I could run the battery pack as is (~360v) or split it up and run 48-96v packs.
It looks like some of the new from-the-factory electric skids run as low as 8kW motors @48v (see here). That would be way smaller than the diesel engine.

Charging also depends on how the battery ends up being configured - splitting it up to a lower voltage makes it less expensive I think.

I've browsed the BMS options available for the Volt batteries - there are some good discussions on this form regarding that. This will also depend on the final battery configuration.

DC/DC - again cheaper if I'm at 48v instead of 400.

Please let me know if anyone has a line on components that might work and you live in the Michigan/Indiana/Ohio area.

Thanks for anything!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply - agreed about the HP ratings. The telehandler in particular seemed similar in weight and load capacity to the skid steer I have. With a 40ish Kw motor though that's still about 20 kW smaller than the ~60 kw (80HP) diesel.

I've got my eye on this which happens to be conveniently up the road from me. I think it would be over kill and also more than half of what I paid for the whole skid steer.

It would also require me to run the Volt battery pack as is which adds cost in chargers, DC/DC, etc.

My conversion would be most similar to the Kovaco - just run the motor straight into the input shaft of the hydraulic pump. I'm not up for complicating things more than that. :)

Thanks again for the thoughts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That UQM I linked has the inverter with it so that would get around that. It looks a little 'used' but supposedly works. Does their $2500 asking price seem reasonable for a motor/inverter pair?

Yes - avoiding changing the complicated bits - especially since this skid has joy stick controls that I'd have to replicate/replace somehow for the hydrostat system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts