DIY Electric Car Forums banner

181 - 200 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
DIY aftermarket electronic parking brake.
It thought that sounded interesting, since there are conversions and other projects which use front suspension and brake hardware at the rear of the car and thus have no parking brake... but in fact this is a controller for the normal Tesla OEM parking brake, which uses a separate electric parking caliper from Brembo:
Pantera Electric Parking Brake Controllers
A good thing to know about if using OEM electric parking brakes outside of the complete original vehicle. :) On the other hand, a momentary push button with a colour-changing indication seems like a lousy interface. OEM installations usually use a pull-up/push-down switch, so it can be used without looking for an illumination colour.

I think that it should also be interlocked with the drive system, to avoid trying to drive away with the parking brakes locked, or engaging drive without either the service brake or parking brakes applied. This is particularly important with the Tesla Model S/X drive units, as they do not have a parking lock internal to the transaxle, so they are much more dependent on the parking brake than a vehicle with a transmission lock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
OEM installations usually use a pull-up/push-down switch, so it can be used without looking for an illumination colour.
It's a single button, dual colour, not two buttons. As it's a momentary signal to the control box it would be easy to use any kind of momentary toggle switch, including an OEM lever switch.

I thin that it should also be interlocked with the drive system, to avoid trying to drive away with the parking brakes locked, or engaging drive without either the service brake or parking brakes applied.
This would be quite easy to achieve by running the switch through a CAN-addressable relay.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
It's a single button, dual colour, not two buttons.
Yes, I realize that... and that's the problem. Two distinct buttons (for apply and release) would work for a parking brake, but in the fine tradition of the idiotic on/off buttons so beloved of electronic device designers determined to save a buck, you have no idea what this thing is going to do unless you look at the colour of the illumination. I get the one-button thing on a $10 consumer device, but on a car costing tens of thousands of dollars it's just stupid; ironically, auto manufacturers normally handle the parking brake properly... then cheap out with a single pushbutton to control all of the multiple operating modes (off, accessory, engine run) of the vehicle.

As it's a momentary signal to the control box it would be easy to use any kind of momentary toggle switch, including an OEM lever switch.
The OEM parking brake lever switches are not normally a single momentary contact - they have distinct apply and release directions. Since this control box is too stupid to understand distinct apply and release commands (it has only that single momentary contact input), the system can't be fixed with a better switch and any amount of external intelligence.

·
Registered
12 Posts
then cheap out with a single pushbutton to control all of the multiple operating modes (off, accessory, engine run) of the vehicle.
As compared to a single ignition key which controls all the operating modes, as we've had since the 1930's? What do you see as the solution?

The OEM parking brake lever switches are not normally a single momentary contact
OEM electronic handbrakes are a single momentary up/down.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
As compared to a single ignition key which controls all the operating modes, as we've had since the 1930's? What do you see as the solution?
They key has multiple positions (with the start position momentary). The solutions are a rotary selector or a row of buttons (off/acc/run/start).

OEM electronic handbrakes are a single momentary up/down.
In the ones I have seen, the single switch has separate up and down movements (it is a double-throw centre-off momentary switch), not just up or just down.

Anyway, snowdog's one-pushbutton controller works, and much better than trying to make use the Tesla control system for the parking brake, or not having a parking brake at all. :)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I saw you use a dremel cutoff wheel, a sawzall, and then a dremel drum sander to trim the brake pedal.

... have you been doing this whole build without an angle grinder or a metal chop saw?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
I saw you use a dremel cutoff wheel, a sawzall, and then a dremel drum sander to trim the brake pedal.

... have you been doing this whole build without an angle grinder or a metal chop saw?
No chop saw. I do have a large angle grinder that works well for in many situations. For smaller, more precise work, I go for the dremel tool.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
You're killin' me Smalls.

You don't have a tap and die set?

You can just drill out a slightly smaller nut, then tap it to the correct size. A washer can just be a piece of metal with a hole in it.

Not a chance I'd wait two weeks to test drive my project just because a nut and washer were missing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
You're killin' me Smalls.

You don't have a tap and die set?

You can just drill out a slightly smaller nut, then tap it to the correct size. A washer can just be a piece of metal with a hole in it.

Not a chance I'd wait two weeks to test drive my project just because a nut and washer were missing.
LOL! That was the first thing I went looking for. The nut is a weird pitch
M14x1. I even tried finding some other bolt that I thought could suffice. Then the Tesla controller was acting up. Trust me, no one was more disappointed than me.

181 - 200 of 233 Posts