DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Electric Supercar

110583 Views 521 Replies 38 Participants Last post by  snowdog
Hello all,

I thought I would start a build thread. I have ordered a K1-attack kit car. I have started the assembly. My plan is to have a Tesla drive train. I am sourcing from EV-West. Hopefully that was a good company to partner with. I am waiting on batteries until the build is further along. I will definitely reach out to the forum for advice along the way. I am also documenting in YouTube. Feel free to follow along.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-Uk13BnLTGAO5APsfuT9uw
Reactions: Ozik and jayguy
461 - 480 of 522 Posts

· Registered
2007 Proton Jumbuck GLi running Nissan eNV200 Gear
177 Posts
Watched that this morning, this is one of the reasons that I discussed insurance before I even started my build.

Insurance can be notoriously finnicky, in the future though, my wife works in Home Insurance and I was discussing this with here, if you can't get insurance, or in the future if they choose to decline you, you can go to places like Chubb or people that Insure Insurance Companies and Banks and stuff, they'll also have a consumer arm in some cases and then you can deal with them to get a "Bespoke" solution if it's super weird and wonderful.

She said she was told during training that they have a customer who is a Gunsmith, and he has a collection of WWII tanks, he has them all insured through Chubb as no one wants to insure the liability of an accident with the tank otherwise.

Likewise he has in the vicinity of a few hundred firearms, which aren't covered on a standard home insurance or business insurance policy.

So there are solutions out there if you don't have any joy.

· Registered
359 Posts
Holy shit that top looks terrible, that immediate chopped off look is awful
absolutely agree on doing a sort of flying buttress design
for inspiration i recommend looking into the ND miata, as well as the early C3 corvette

· Registered
8,516 Posts
Why use a yoke, unless you have less than one turn lock-to-lock of steering shaft rotation? Basically, if you can't safely and effectively steer the vehicle in all turns with your hands taped to the yoke, a yoke is not an appropriate steering control.

Tesla does it; that doesn't make it "cool", it makes it a marketing gimmick for people who don't really drive. Formula 1 race cars do it, and their tightest turns don't require the driver's hands move from their positions on the yoke.

An effective way to do this is to laminate wood segments around a flat metal core (like the spokes).
Superfast Matt's version (a wheel, not a yoke): Build Your Own Steering Wheel. Or Just Watch Me Do It. Whatever.
If it is to be entirely covered (as this is) the material choice is wide open, and it could be 3D-printed front and back halves around the structural metal core.

Why does it have a bottom? Because it's straight it's not very useful.

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #479 ·
Clearly I am not as cool as SuperfastMatt.

Why...To better see the gauge cluster and provide more leg room.
I completely agree that it is not as useful as a standard steering wheel. I may find that I completely hate it.

· Registered
8,516 Posts
Clearly I am not as cool as SuperfastMatt.
Almost no one is. :)

Matt's wheel is not dished. To do a dished wheel by his method, I assume that one would need either a huge press, or to cut the spokes and rim as separate pieces and weld them together.

Why...To better see the gauge cluster and provide more leg room.
I completely agree that it is not as useful as a standard steering wheel. I may find that I completely hate it.
I would always vote for better gauge placement over omitting the top of the steering wheel. Although I realize that the dash and wheel don't line up well at the desired steering column position, a solution (even used in some production cars) is to mount the gauge cluster on the steering column.

Moderate flattening of the bottom of the wheel is a reasonable compromise, and is quite common.

461 - 480 of 522 Posts