DIY Electric Car Forums banner
141 - 160 of 527 Posts
I should have mentioned earlier that unless the thing being bolted imposes lower limits, an appropriate tightening torque is determined by the bolt itself, and there are published standards for that, by size and material grade. In a few minutes of online searching, you can probably become more qualified to specify a bolt torque than the guy who picked that bolt for the kit...

Discussion starter · #142 ·
I should have mentioned earlier that unless the thing being bolted imposes lower limits, an appropriate tightening torque is determined by the bolt itself, and there are published standards for that, by size and material grade. In a few minutes of online searching, you can probably become more qualified to specify a bolt torque than the guy who picked that bolt for the kit...
Thanks! Great advice.

Ridiculous.

What a bunch of losers.

I know the conversation isn't really active here, but, I would take that a sign that there's just not many questions to ask since you're doing such a good job sharing what you're up to. I look forward to your weekly updates and I doubt I'm alone.

Discussion starter · #149 ·
Ridiculous.

What a bunch of losers.

I know the conversation isn't really active here, but, I would take that a sign that there's just not many questions to ask since you're doing such a good job sharing what you're up to. I look forward to your weekly updates and I doubt I'm alone.
Thanks friend!

I crossed a decision point very early where I decided to be very transparent with my build. I am a very inexperienced builder and remember all the build threads that I would follow seemed to be "God-level master builders" but later learned that many of the mistakes or missteps were often not shared. I feel that is where the most learning occurs. I wanted to show that there are all types of builders and that there is a great community of support in these forums. I have appreciated all of the comments even those that seem critical are great learning for me.

Seeing how you're connecting the cooling plates... just thermal grease across like, 4 square feet of contact area...

I'm skeptical if you have enough clamping force to actually usefully create a decent enough thermal connection between the battery modules at the plate.

I'd think you'd need some long bolts at least between or around each battery pack and some decent boltdown force to hold them in contact.

If you think about how much contact force there is on just a CPU headsink clamp, for 4 square inches, there's no way you have 144 times that for the 144x the surface area you're dealing with.

It's one of those things that isn't a problem unless it's a problem, and batteries makes the most heat when being fast charged, but, you've got this giant radiator to cool them, kind of a waste if they're not actually able to pull a lot of heat off.

141 - 160 of 527 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.