DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to request from members of this DIY Electric Car forum, we developed a way to monitor the status of a Lithiumate Lite or Lithiumate Pro BMS through any wireless enabled computing device, including smartphones (iPhone, Android...) and tablets (iPad, etc.).

The device is a WiFi Hotspot with two cables: USB to the BMS and 12 Vdc power.

Select the "Lithiumate" network, enter the password ("elithion"), and open a browser to 10.1.1.1

The browser will show the state of the BMS.

You may add one to your present system (Rev 2.xx required for the Lithiumate Pro), or order it as part of a new system.

You may order from your favorite reseller, or directly from Elithion.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice that you show the password for every device on the internet so the whole world can see it.
All that means is someone else would be able to see the status of your Elithion BMS. Is that a problem? If so, please let me know and we'll fix that.

anyway 180$ for a basic router? not even an integrated 3G modem? incredibly overpriced.
just hack a dirty cheap router and connect an usb cable and you get the same data and features for a 10th of the price.
$ 18? Seriously?
A computer, WiFi adapter, cables, power supply, enclosure?
What about covering your development costs?
What about the resellers' mark-up?
And shipping costs?
$ 18?

Please do it! Show us that it can be done!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so now the user will have the ability to change password and SSID as well as other functions like the type of encryption, SSID broadcast, mac filtering etc?
Yes indeed.

I'll be glad to develop such a product. it will take me 1 day or so. I've already done it for other type of devices. It's just a matter of adapting to yours. Just send me a sample and I'll build it.
Fantastic!

Please contact me directly so we can arrange sending you what you need.

·
Registered
336 Posts
This is a great addition to your already excellent product. Perhaps I'll have to start saving my penny's to upgrade to an Elithion BMS. This type of functionality really makes this BMS attractive.

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
274 Posts
anyway 180$ for a basic router? not even an integrated 3G modem? incredibly overpriced.
just hack a dirty cheap router and connect an usb cable and you get the same data and features for a 10th of the price.
The web interface isn't running on the BMS; you normally need to have a host computer. So this "WiFi" box is a web server, not a router. That's more than $18.

My only request: can the box be configured to get its address from DHCP? I already have a WiFi hotspot for the car ;)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
can the box be configured to get its address from DHCP? I already have a WiFi hotspot for the car ;)
From the FAQ:

[h2] Multiple Hotspots [/h2]
* Q: Can I use it at the same time as other WiFi Hotspots?
* A: A wireless device is only able to talk to a single hotspot at a time; so, when you use your wireless device to monitor your BMS, it will not be able to access anything else through WiFi (it could still have internet access, but through the cell phone network, not through WiFi)

Yes, there is DHCP (which allows multiple devices to use the same hotspot); but what you're asking (one device connected to multiple hotspots) is unrelated to DHCP.

My guess is that you would have to have multiple WiFi adapters connected to a single computer, for that computer to connect to multiple hotspots simultaneously. You might be able to do with a computer, but with a smartphone that might not be possible, due to the limited availability of ports. Not my field of expertize, I am afraid.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well, might be worth passing the request along to your engineer. In theory, your adapter should be able to connect as a client to an existing WiFi network, rather than registering its own.

But might not be worth it for the small number of users that care about this use case ;)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Hi! That is a great price for that unit.

As far as the horrible risk of showing the password, someone can walk up to our cars and deflate all four tires. Isn't that a much greater risk than finding out how much charge your battery has? Perhaps we should also cover the clock on the dashboard - we wouldn't want someone to see what time we have. But moot point now, that has been enhanced with configurable SSID and password.

Again, the price is set right. One customer support call and/or one product return and a lower priced product would set you in the red. There are many overpriced EV components out there - this isn't one of those, IMHO.

JR

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Elithion Lithiumate WiFi Hotspot - sold out for now

Wow! Already sold out!

Great response you all, thanks!

We'll make a new, larger batch soon. I'll let you know when they are available.

·
Registered
274 Posts
that's the most stupid argument that I've seen on the entire internet.
why don't you leave your front door open? buglers can always brake a window.
I drive a convertible, so locking the door just means they'll rip my top. :)

about the price. it's made with a 35$ raspberry pi board and an usb wifi adapter 5$.
And the software. Nobody's stopping you from building one yourself!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is there any way to have the display show numerical values instead of the gauges?
Click on a gauge: a little box opens that shows the actual value for that gauge.

Please write back with your feedback: we want to know how it's working for you!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts