DIY Electric Car Forums banner
81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Wish they would say, I’ve asked service also. So no help from parts, or service. Getting frustrated. They both claim neither can get any more information from Ford…
question is, if the thing sold out. There must be a bunch out there. I cant find any chat about them

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
No pin outs or much
Out of the context of the rest of the manual, the alphabet soup is a bit daunting. This is what I found:
ISC: Inverter System Controller
S-ISC: Secondary Inverter System Controller​
SOBDM: Secondary On-Board Diagnostic Module
SOBDM-C: Secondary On-Board Diagnostic Module - C​
SOBDMB: Secondary On-Board Diagnostic Module - B​
GWM: GateWay Module
APIM: Accessory Protocol Interface Module
BCM: Body Control Module
BCMC: Body Control Module - C​
BECM: Battery Energy Control Module
ECM: Engine Control Module

I assume that non-networked connections to most modules are not shown in this schematic; few if any of the modules could function with only a CAN connection, and other diagrams in the same manual should confirm this and provide details. An ECM in an EV is interesting - it may be an EV-specific variant to accept the accelerator input and similar I/O, then direct (by CAN message) the inverter system controllers. If so, the ECM would be required, in addition to the ISC, to control an Eluminator using Ford control components.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
On the subject of how to control the inverter-less Eluminator, this is what I noted in the Eluminator news thread:
AEM Electronics mentioned (as an aside in a YouTube video about an unrelated project) that an Eluminator installation which was at the SEMA show used a Cascadia inverter, borrowed from AEM's project.
See 1:45 in Our '71 Pinzgauer EV Conversion is FINALLY Coming Together!
They mentioned a team working with Ford, so although a consumer probably gets no information or support, a commercial operation building something for a show promoting Ford gets assistance.
None of the Ford controls matter if you use the Eluminator as a bare motor with encoder, connected to a non-Ford inverter.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
An autoevolution article mentions some of the Mach-E modules:
Early 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Models Discharge 12V Battery Over Software Issue
The article text mentions the "powertrain control module", without an acronym; my guess is that it is the ECM in the diagram posted earlier. The attached Ford Technical Service Bulletin (TSB :)) calls it the PCM, but my guess is that the acronym used depends on the vintage of the documentation; ECM makes sense for consistency with other models, but any reference to an "engine" in an EV will be confusing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
That's the sensible layout if making modern EV components fit in a Sevenesque chassis.

ECOClassics is an EV conversion company - not a chassis builder - so it's not their chassis. What chassis is it? The dash hoops of the frame are interesting - very much a two-cockpit effect.
I didn’t ask, and I am not sure in the UK with the DMVL how it all works. But folk have been building 7 chassis for 70+ years now.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
But folk have been building 7 chassis for 70+ years now.
Yes, and one result is that among cars including those loosely referred to as "Lotus 7" style or inspired or whatever, there are many variations in design, some of which are unlike (in the details) any real Lotus/Caterham 7. A common area for differences is the rear suspension, which is highly relevant to using a drive unit placed in the rear; it wouldn't work with a live beam axle and I wouldn't want to try it with a de Dion axle.

I was really just curious about the structure of this one, and couldn't find the images on the EcoClassics website, or anywhere on the web via Google Image Search... it's not important.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts