DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Welcome to the forum, jbman! The way you're talking about "inverter and controller" has me thinking you're looking at the wrong inverters. You don't want the kind that you add to a regular vehicle to turn 12 volts DC into 120 volts AC. The inverter you need is a controller, and very different from the 12vdc to 120vac kind.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk. -Yeah, a BlackBerry.

·
Registered
311 Posts
What do you think the weight of the Midget will be once you strip out the ICE stuff? Also, how much range do you want?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Rule of thumb is about 100wh per mile, per 1000 lbs of car. Your weight is realistic. I would have guessed 2500 lbs myself. So figure 250wh/mile. Times 50 is 12,500wh of energy to drive that far. It's a stretch, and you would have to go with used batteries, but I think you could do it.

Don't forget the golden rule of hot-rodding: fast, pretty or cheap -pick two.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ditching the transmission is an option, but you would want a motor that can give you more torque than your ebay motor provides. Remember that in 1st gear, most transmissions double the torque of an engine by 3 to 4 times. Most EVs have to double their motor power if they eliminate the transmission.

If the bottom side is as clean as the top side you have a great project car? What's the condition of the 12v wiring? 40 year old wires are always suspect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.