DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys, I can't make this stupid forum work any more! Building a thread here is pointless, so I just wanted to let you know what's going on.

I lost my beloved E-Fire 1975 Triumph Spitfire conversion to a moment's inattention on the part of a big pickup truck driver. Car was a total loss- I walked away without a scratch. 3 months later, the insurance company gave me my legally incontesible settlement- AND the car for salvage. All the EV stuff worked...then started a fruitless search for insurance. A complaint to the Financial Services Commission of Ontario shook an insurer out of the woodwork- one who had declined me TWICE- and now a conversion was possible- but in the meantime I'd bought a nice 1973 TR6 which didn't NEED converting- it was fun as it was...

...but totally unreliable, noisy and leaky and smelly...and it finally puked out all its transmission oil and killed its transmission.

I'm most of the way through converting it- and if I could figure out how to post pictures here (using Chrome simply doesn't work, and yes I"ve enabled popups for this site). So I'll likely build a blog somewhere and toss you a link so you can see what I've done. It's not all that exciting- simply putting the E-Fires drivetrain and batteries and the like into the TR6, which was easy. And the big bonus- the TR6 is in better shape (so no bothering EVMetro for endless bodywork advice!) and has a stronger rear end so I won't likely be destroying U joints all the time either!

We'll see how it goes, but I should be test driving in a week or so, then down to just finishing touches.

I grouped batteries and added one, got rid of the "control plate" that was in the way of working on or looking at the motor except from under the car, but otherwise a TR6 is more or less the SAME build as a Spitfire. The motor landed on the same cross-member of the frame, I had to make an adapter plate to connect the old driveshaft to the different differential flange size and bolt pattern- but even the tranny shifter ended up in the right place! No need to build or to even alter the transmission tunnel cover- easiest build going. I took my time and made it more neat and tidy this time- and the car is in better shape for shows, though the paint is scratched and bubbled and chipped in a few places. It's not a show queen but should be a fun driver- just not to work and back any more because a) COVID 19 means I don't have to drive in to work any more (so I hope the lockdown stays a while, though I don't want anybody to get sick!) and b) I think the crash has sobered me up to driving a tiny, silent car on freeways being just not worth my life to do any more.

Fun stuff- best wishes to Duncan, EVMetro, and numerous others who were a great help to me on the E-Fire project, who still hang around here. Hope you're all keeping well and healthy! And if you have any advice on how to post pics using Chrome, I'm open to suggestions- it just isn't worth the bother with this site being as badly administered as it has become.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
None of the buttons work- not the old paperclip attachment button, nor the "insert photo" button either. None spawn the necessary HTML code. Not going to be bothered editing that by hand...but the pic shows up in my post preview. Here's what the E-Fire looked like at the end...

And here's what it looked like after I chopped it up for the urban raccoons to take...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The TR6 before conversion. Nice car at a nice price. Badly boxed frame, some weaknesses as a restoration candidate, but didn't need any bodywork and has nice chrome so that was a plus.

The engine ran well- but needed quite a bit of work to get it roadworthy. Then the tranny went and it just wasn't worth bothering with my my opinion. Pulling the tranny required pulling the interior, and converting it was actually a) what I wanted and b) cheaper than bothering and c) will give me a more reliable ride when I"m done. So why not?

TR6s are fun rally cars- they don't handle or corner as nicely as a Spitfire, but with a massive 2.5 L straight six with only 4 speeds topping out at about 100 km/hr, they heave themselves up in speed quite nicely. They're not fun on the highway though with the engine spinning too fast, and like with Spitfires, the overdrive transmissions were a big price adder so there are few of them around.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Engine coming out...one of the lifting lugs on the engine failed during the lift but nothing was damaged- it happened early enough. The engine and tranny were pulled as a unit which took some effort in my low front section of shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Main pack interconnector 2/0 cables in ENT conduit same as last time- in fact I used the same 2/0 cables as last time and just made them fit!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Front pack- similar to last time but lower down and a little further back, and narrower because the fender wheel wells are huge on the 6. I added one cell total, so I have 19 in the front, a nice easy to pull 4 cell (12V nominal) pack in the middle to use as emergency backup on the house if required, and ten in the rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dumb previous owner destroyed the dashboard by sanding off the face veneer (and through another couple layers in spots). So I had to re-veneer the board, after adding spacers to account for my smaller Intellitronix gauges.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Floor pans just needed wire brushing and painting, sound deadener and carpets re-installed. Tranny tunnel cover and driveshaft tunnel cover (paperboard) took a little fibreglass reinforcement but were generally OK too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think this build has cost me $100 so far- even the jumper leads were re-used and I only had to cut a few shorter and crimp on new terminals. Just wire, crimp connectors and heat shrink, some steel, paint etc. A lot of it I had just laying around from the last project...

Only one thing left to sort out, and hopefully you guys can help. The TR6's hydraulic brakes had a vacuum assist which it would be nice to maintain despite the fact that I have the same pedal braking arrangement as last time. Thinking of just installing a small 12V diaphragm pump and a capped piece of PVC pipe to store "vacuum" in reserve, a couple times the volume of the vacuum assist diaphragm chamber on the 6. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
Great to see you'll be electrified again! Nice little TR6 you have there too.

On the image issue, the only way I can make it work here is to upload all my pics to an album. Open my profile, and then upload images to an 'album'. From there you can reference the album image in your post...

Just paste in the image link from your album picture...

Example:
[IMG]https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=841&pictureid=6867

1 - 20 of 36 Posts