DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I had no prudence to buy this engineering work, the car does not go, 12v battery is good. HV Battery 3.26v per cell. First I want to determine the battery is this lithium ion or LiFePO4?
I read what me need to safely synchronize parking. But as long as the battery is taken off, it is necessary to determine how much will be charged. Lithium ion - 4.2v or LiFePO4 3,6v?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
HV Battery 3.26v per cell. First I want to determine the battery is this lithium ion or LiFePO4?
Lithium ion - 4.2v or LiFePO4 3,6v?
LiFePO4 is one of many lithium-ion cell types; the rest of them do not all have the same nominal voltage. Even they are not LiFePO4, I think you need more specific information before choosing a charging voltage or assessing their current condition.

Perhaps someone recognizes that specific product from A123 Systems...

An article about this vehicle says that
It features 1,248 Li-ion cells arranged in 16 modules, which produce 280-328 volts according to the state of charge.
The label says 6s13p, which is presumably the module configuration. That would imply that there are
6 x 16 = 96 cells in series, so the pack voltage range is 2.917 to 3.416 volts per cell, and
6 x 13 x 16 = 1248 cells, matching the number in the article.
That does appear to be a LiFePO4 cell type.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are right, in the picture of the specialization, I figured that the battery has + - 300v this is \ 16 \ 6 = 3,125v, as I said it is now 3.260v in the cell, without a hundred per cent confidence I will not do anything.
Wait..

Attachments

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
There is another problem, I noticed that there is no shaft.
That's an interesting and uncommon design. The article which I mentioned above describes the drivetrain and rear suspension this way:
The robust motor/controller drives transversely through a Z-drivetrain between the battery pack and the drive axle. A short transverse driveshaft features constant-velocity joints that allow a small plunge to accommodate angularity changes with deflection of the rear trailing-arm suspension.
It appears to actually be a live beam axle on trailing arms, which is not what "trailing-arm suspension" usually means. Regardless of terminology, what is missing should just be a rigid shaft with portions of a CV joint on each end; some of the outer parts of both CV joints are still there. If this was designed properly, the two joints should be different designs, with only one allowing axial plunge. That should be relatively straightforward - if you can determine the specifications of each joint - but there must have been a reason for the shaft to have been removed. It may have been taken to fix another vehicle, a joint may have failed, or maybe just the protective boots were damaged and the shaft was taken out to fit new ones... and the work wasn't completed. The best news might be that no rational manufacturer would custom-design CV joints for this application, so they should be some available off-the-shelf joints.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's an interesting and uncommon design. The article which I mentioned above describes the drivetrain and rear suspension this way:

It appears to actually be a live beam axle on trailing arms, which is not what "trailing-arm suspension" usually means. Regardless of terminology, what is missing should just be a rigid shaft with portions of a CV joint on each end; some of the outer parts of both CV joints are still there. If this was designed properly, the two joints should be different designs, with only one allowing axial plunge. That should be relatively straightforward - if you can determine the specifications of each joint - but there must have been a reason for the shaft to have been removed. It may have been taken to fix another vehicle, a joint may have failed, or maybe just the protective boots were damaged and the shaft was taken out to fit new ones... and the work wasn't completed. The best news might be that no rational manufacturer would custom-design CV joints for this application, so they should be some available off-the-shelf joints.
I think they could not unlock the gearbox and removed the shaft for transportation.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I think they could not unlock the gearbox and removed the shaft for transportation.
That makes sense :)
... but did they misplace the shaft?

Usually when someone disconnects a propeller shaft (driveshaft) for this reason, they only disconnect the axle end and tie it up to something, leaving it in the vehicle. That would especially make sense with CV joints, which are much less easily and cleanly disconnected than universal joints.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Any progress on this project since your last post?

I'd also be interested in knowing where and how you found an Estar van. I'm considering one as delivery vehicle for our organic vegetable farm but don't know how to follow enough obscure fleet retirements in order to locate one.

On the driveshaft question I suspect that they removing and discarding the driveshafts may have been part of their retirement from certain fleets. Navistar had decided not to support the tech anymore and fleet operators didn't want folks like us to have an easy time getting these trucks back on the road. I'd wager than some lawyer somewhere figured it was better to see them dismantled than risk a FEDEX-emblazoned EV causing an accident because one of us enthusiast types had gotten it (nearly) working again but hadn't bothered to remove the original lettering. Just speculating. I've also been looking at Smith Netwon trucks that come up for sale and sometimes they too have a mysteriously absent driveshaft.

At any rate, I agree with Brian that a decent driveline shop should be able to fabricate a new driveshaft for less than $1000.

I'm sure you've found all the easy to find stuff about A123 LiFePO4 pouch cells so I won't steer you there. I don't recognize this pack but if I find anything I'll let you know.

Please post more info or PM me if you have any useful info or are willing to chat about the Estar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts