DIY Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I ran the calculations, it's possible to hit 77hp with 96v at 600a [...]
The only way I see this thing going down the highway is on the back of a tow truck.,
Indeed. However, it does not take 77hp to travel highway speed on a 1200 lb car. More like, 15hp.

That said, this is not a 77hp setup the way he describes it. You're absolutely correct.

·
Registered
9 Posts
IMG_20180429_123714225.jpg
would would you be happy with 20hp in this?
Because of the add saying 77hp I thought that I was doubling my hp from my gasoline engine not cutting it in half.

·
Registered
997 Posts
The ME1616 can certainly do more than 200A peak. Are you sure your controller is properly tuned? The fact that the seller is telling you nonsense doesn’t give much confidence that he set up the controller right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would like to find someone who knows how to set this thing up. I'm relatively new to the ev world. I do electrical wiring for a living and restore cars for a hobby, I thought I'd combine the two and build an electric car.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I suspect that the vendor is stating such a low current limit becuase of inherent weakness in the controller.

Several projects I've come across have used the ME1507 (air-cooled version of this motor) quite successfully – though generally in lighter vehicles. The water-cooled version should naturally have a higher continuous current rating.

Here's one example, running at just 72 V:

Are you using a gearbox in your setup or is it a single ratio drive?

41 - 47 of 47 Posts