DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an electrical engineer (not a mechanic), but I'm comfortable under the hood with good reference material.
I have pulled the ICE out of the car and am in the process of overhauling the transaxle. I'm not scared.
I have been in hobby electric trucks for short while and can take stuff apart and put it back together.
My goals here are to use this car to commute 50 miles round trip with most of my time (40 min) at 55 to 65 mph.
I like the AC motor kits at 108V and am seriously considering LiFePO pack at 100AH, but I'm thinking I'm gonna be short on the 50 mile goal.
I'd like to keep my build to about $9k.
Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
DC motors are cheaper, save your money for your battery pack.

After much debate, a good rule of thumb for range is 8Kwh of battery capacity approximates 1 gallon of gasoline with respect to how far it will propel you; with that car you should have at least 16Kwh and probably 20 to account for some reserve range; AC/heat; etc. That's where most of your money will go.

$9k is probably optimistic for your goals; however, you might be able to get some additional cash by selling the ICE and associated components you no longer need.

That's all summary info taken from other posts; I haven't started mine yet so you'll want the opinions of others for more details.

Good luck!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So I am driving my car around for some time, now. I built it in Memphis, but have since moved to Birmingham, AL. It was flat in Memphis and hilly in Birmingham and this matters.
Here is what I learned for about $12k.
My AC-50 at 96V with a 16KW pack gets about 60 miles @ 55mph easy. (Probably would be better with all good cells.)
Car final weight is about 1900lbs.
I down graded the breaks to a manual cylinder, but I had to fab my own mount and pedal connection. The only power in the car is the power that counts for traction.
Bought a wire welder to frame battery boxes.
The Orion BMS works awesome.
Pick a nice car. Pay a little extra rather than a cheap resurrection from the junkyard. I bought two junk cars to make one.
Insurance wasn't simple, but most independent agents will write the policy you need.

Don't buy BestGo batteries or chargers. Buy something else.
BestGo was horrible and I posted about it. My BMS captured cells that needed to be replaced and BestGo sent replacements that were junk. I sent a charger back to BestGo (China) with horrific support that basically told me I was not smart enough to connect the CANbus to make it work. My BMS and OBDii adapter was working on the same CANbus.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts