DIY Electric Car Forums banner

EV conversion for a taxi fleet of cars

Tags
bldc car taxi
3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Yabert 
#1 ·
Hello,

i am considering starting an EV conversion project for the taxi vehicles in my city and would like to know if this is at all doable.
The proposed donor cars weigh from 1000 kg to 1500 kg (without passengers).
The cars in question are WV Passat, WV Golf 3 and 4, Reno Megane, Opel Astra, etc.
I was wondering if a conversion is possible for these types of cars to carry passengers with a range of at least 100km and with a top speed of 80-100km/h ?
Also what would be the price for a conversion like that ?
Does it make sense to do it with a BLDC like the one from Golden Motor
https://www.goldenmotor.com/frame-bldcmotor.htm
?
Any advice is welcomed :)

#8 ·
What gearbox and gear ratio would you use between the motor and the drive axles?

What size tires/wheels are on these taxis?

What would be the fully loaded weight that you would want to transport, and what is the nominal and top speed needed with this weight, and what is your acceleration requirement--e.g. how quickly would be acceptable to go from a stop to 60 kmh while fully loaded?

You will also need an on-board DC-DC converter to run auxillary functions such as lights from the 12V aux/starter battery and keep it charged.

Also some sort of junction box with high voltage contactors and fuses.

What will you use to provide heating in the winter, diesel heater or electric?

#11 ·
What gearbox and gear ratio would you use between the motor and the drive axles?
I plan on using the manual transmission of the cars.

What size tires/wheels are on these taxis?
- Average would be 195/65/15

What would be the fully loaded weight that you would want to transport, and what is the nominal and top speed needed with this weight, and what is your acceleration requirement--e.g. how quickly would be acceptable to go from a stop to 60 kmh while fully loaded?
- I would say that +400kg when the car is fully loaded.
- Top speed can be 100km/h and nominal would be 60 km/h.
- The acceleration from 0 - 60km/h would be about 10 seconds.

You will also need an on-board DC-DC converter to run auxillary functions such as lights from the 12V aux/starter battery and keep it charged.
- Yup i overlooked this one, tnx.

Also some sort of junction box with high voltage contactors and fuses.
- I will get the contactors and fuses, but are there some out-of-the-shelf boxes made for this or will i have to build one ?

What will you use to provide heating in the winter, diesel heater or electric?
- I was originally thinking about using an electric 1kw heater, but then i found out a unit called webasto which runs on gas, so i was thinking on getting one of those.

My biggest concern was the motor and controller, if the DC BLDC Golden Motor 20kw was a good choice for a taxi car of 1300 kg, this weight is without passengers/load, so add to that weight another 400kg.

I did try out a conversion of Chevrolet Matiz (small car), which had the 10kw golden motor BLDC and was going up-hills great with a manual transmission.

But i have no experience with conversions and have only read about then, so i am totally new, but thought that this idea i had could be possible :)
I was also thinking of battery swaps but i think that is also not a good idea :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.