DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm seeing an intermittent issue with my EV. When I'm in forward or reverse and I come to a complete stop and then step on the throttle, it sometimes acts as if it's in neutral. If I step on the brake and then the throttle a couple of times it will eventually go into forward or reverse (whatever gear it is currently in). It's pretty nerve racking when I'm at a stop light on a hill with someone behind me! It started happening a couple months ago, so It was working properly for about 9 months. I inspected the toggle switch used for switching between forward-neutral-reverse and it appears to be working fine with no loose connections. I have the Curtis laptop software in OEM mode so I can change any settings I need to. It's a Curtis 1238-7501 controller.

Has anyone ran into this issue or know where I should look first?

Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After playing with this, I found a condition where the issue is repeatable. If I am on a hill rolling backwards it will not engage into fwd. Even if I immediately step on the accelerator from the brake, it still does not engage. It only engaged into forward when I pressed on the accelerator with my foot still on the brake.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello DIYDAN, I also have a Curtis 1238 and have noticed the effect of rolling back even though your foot is applying throttle. What I have narrowed it down to is a control system design choice they have implemented or a series of programmable parameters that may need tinkering. The ONLY time this (applying throttle but still rolling backwards) happens for me is when I am fully charged or close to fully charged, otherwise, it works normally. I think it may be something to do with regen.

Have you contacted who ever you bought the setup from, or curtis?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello DIYDAN, I also have a Curtis 1238 and have noticed the effect of rolling back even though your foot is applying throttle. What I have narrowed it down to is a control system design choice they have implemented or a series of programmable parameters that may need tinkering. The ONLY time this (applying throttle but still rolling backwards) happens for me is when I am fully charged or close to fully charged, otherwise, it works normally. I think it may be something to do with regen.

Have you contacted who ever you bought the setup from, or curtis?
Thanks for sharing your issue. The original company that did the conversion doesn’t do conversions anymore and the designers are no longer there. I contacted Curtis and they want me to call the conversion company. I do remember getting tech support from Curtis for a different issue though, so I may just need to find the right phone number to call. I’m not sure what my charge level was when I saw the issue, I’ll see if I can repeat it on a lower charge. I definitely need to take better notes when I troubleshoot though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts