DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am from europe and I am interested in vw bug conversion to EV.
What is your thoughts about nissan leaf donor?
Is it has some difficulties compared to AC50 ev conversion?
What is the most popular AC motor depending on price/performance?

My main focus on EV conversion:

1. To drive minimum 100 miles/charge.
2. AC Motor should be min 50kw power.

I am glad to join to this great community.
Waiting for responses.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Hi, I am from europe and I am interested in vw bug conversion to EV.
What is your thoughts about nissan leaf donor?
Is it has some difficulties compared to AC50 ev conversion? ...
The challenge with the Leaf motor, compared to the various motors usually used for DIY conversions, is that there are no readily available parts to adapt the motor shaft to the VW transaxle input, or the motor housing to the transaxle case... assuming that you're using the VW transaxle.

You could use the whole Leaf drive unit (motor with transaxle), but it mounts very differently from the VW engine and transaxle, and sits further forward, so it wouldn't reasonably fit in the VW.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Might me good to first clarify if we are actually talking about the original, classic, beetle here, or the newer water cooled version...

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Might me good to first clarify if we are actually talking about the original, classic, beetle here, or the newer water cooled version...
Good point. :) I assumed original Beetle, both because that is the common conversion target, and because andrews called it a "Bug", rather than a "Beetle".

The important difference isn't air versus water cooling of the engine, but the completely different drivetrain layout (in opposite ends of the car), as well as different size and construction of the body.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts