DIY Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
6,443 Posts
hi Duncan!!

40km? 14kwh for just 40km? it sound too much kwh! why do you have this range?
on the internet lots of customer of volt car claim to get at worse senario 30 MILES! most of them an easy 37miles\40 meaning 65km (easy... some of them 45\48 but driving very slow).. with just 10kwh and a car that weight more the three times yours!

how can this be possible?
Aerodynamics
If I travel at 50 kph instead of 100 kph I get twice the range

My car is not very aerodynamic but I was including it as an example of a light weight car that did NOT end up with more range

·
Registered
194 Posts
You can't focus on just one area and expect to build an electric supercar.
Weight plus a big roll in acceleration and low speed driving. At higher speeds, aerodynamics takes priority. Then there are a bunch of other factors, torque curve, Gear ratios, acceleration, etc.. Two drivers can take the same car and get vastly different economy numbers depending on how they drive, whether it's an EV or gas.
Try playing with this calculator.
http://enginuitysystems.com/EVCalculator.htm
See how power requirements are affected.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You can't focus on just one area and expect to build an electric supercar.
Weight plus a big roll in acceleration and low speed driving. At higher speeds, aerodynamics takes priority. Then there are a bunch of other factors, torque curve, Gear ratios, acceleration, etc.. Two drivers can take the same car and get vastly different economy numbers depending on how they drive, whether it's an EV or gas.
Try playing with this calculator.
http://enginuitysystems.com/EVCalculator.htm
See how power requirements are affected.
fantastic helps... i'm digging in a lot..

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.