DIY Electric Car Forums banner

EV Conversion Tools

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  joekitch 
My EV supplier recommended this tool as what they use for in-house conversions
Price seems reasonable and the quality seems good

Hydraulic Terminal Crimper

I'm building an AEM VCU-based setup and their documentation recommends the following:

Harness Pinning/De-Pinning tools
MOLEX 063811-8900 - $600

MOLEX 063811-9100 - $595

MOLEX 063813-2300 - $132

MOLEX 063813-2400 - $132

They seem a little pricey for a hobbyist so does anyone have alternative recommendations?

My experience with Molex is that there aren't really any good china options for many of their products. I ended up buying minifit jr crimpers on ebay.

You might have some luck with generic open barrel crimpers like the Tool Aids?
Thanks Cole for your feedback but i'm a little sad to hear there's no good chinese options :)
Perhaps something will pop up on the used market.

For me, I guess I have the luxury of time. There's enough stuff on my plate and i have no specific "do or die" finish date so I can wait until I have some connectors in hand to understand if some generic crimpers will work; the only risk I take is that prices for everything related to my EV conversion may go up along with the cost of everything else in the next year or so. I ordered most of what I need from eGT already; I just haven't locked in my battery modules (or bought these tools) yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.