DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a lot on this forum and others about using Leaf components, but have never read about a completed conversion. Seems like there are a lot of you that get started but I never hear about a successful conversion. So is there anyone who has done a conversion that works and that they are happy with? If so I would like to hear about it

·
Registered
598 Posts
I'm using a Leaf motor, inverter, and batteries for my project (it's been on the road), but I'm using Thunderstruck charger, VCU, and BMS.

I still haven't seen anyone document a complete, successful transplant of the minimal Leaf drivetrain without aftermarket components.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using a Leaf motor, inverter, and batteries for my project (it's been on the road), but I'm using Thunderstruck charger, VCU, and BMS.

I still haven't seen anyone document a complete, successful transplant of the minimal Leaf drivetrain without aftermarket components.
Thanks for responding to my question. I have been communicating with and considering the Thunderstruck products. What are your thoughts on their products? Does your project operate to your expectations? What have been your frustrations and joys doing your project? Does the Leaf motor operate to maximum RPM? Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Read all about it:

Thunderstruck has been fantastic. Configuration is straightforward, and everything is very well thought out. You can tell they use their own products on their own projects. When you email them with questions, they'll actually respond intelligently. I'm very pleased with their stuff, and the price is is on par with other products I've investigated. Their stuff all works well together, and I would choose them unless another option was significantly cheaper or had some feature I needed.

The pain of this project (for me) mainly involves fitment, measurement, and fabrication. I'm just not great at fabrication, so my work is often a bit "off" the first time around, and I do everything 2-3x. Right now I'm working on my third battery pack attempt after the second didn't fit well with HV and BMS wiring (the first attempt was successful, but temporary—I just threw battery modules in the back seat to see if the car would go). BMS wiring is endless tedium...I'm also going to have to remove the subframe again because one of my mounts rubs the chassis quite a bit...

The "final" product of my car has been great. Good torque, not too many hassles, some questionable noises. I haven't gone past 6k RPM, mainly because I'm sticking to slow roads for now. I enjoy the work for the most part, but the inevitable setbacks are frustrating, even when you expect them. I wanted an electric classic Mini, and they simply don't exist outside of a few garages that built them more or less from scratch. Whether or not it has been worth the effort is up for some debate. By the time I'm "done" there will be kits available that will make this conversion 10x easier, and that will irritate me even as I applaud the progress.

I've seen an early Model S for sale for $25k, and an electric Leaf/Smart/Fiat can be found for $5k all day, so be sure that what you build is what you want to end up with...It's cheaper to buy a Tesla.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts