DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm going to be honest idk anything about cars, but I ain't paying gas, so I'm going to get an EV Car. However, I saw that EV converted cars are a thing so I'm gonna ask for any EV converted cars for sale specifically in the LA county, Riverside county, or orange county area. I would prefer a corolla that was converted to EV but my question is that if the corolla had an EV conversion done, will it still have the same range, and will the battery last longer?

·
Registered
633 Posts
By buying a conversion, you'll spend significantly more than on a standard Corolla, and 10x more than you would spend on gas for said Corolla over its life. Highway-capable EV conversions start at about $10k in parts.

My advice is to look around for a used Leaf, Fiat 500e, e-Golf, i3, or Smart ForTwo ED. You can find these for $5-10k in great shape all day.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have known a couple of folks who have owned conversions and weren't into the servicing side of it. Tbh they had a hard time. To pull it off, really you have to know someone who works on them in your area. Or be friends with like, a forklift tech or something.
They can be more reliable than gas cars in many ways, but only as good as the wiring and engineering time put into them. Something will go wrong eventually, and you'd need a lifeline.
In the days of all the production cars being readily available, conversions are making less sense to own unless you're into working on them yourself. In which case it's not only a car but also a hobby, and a hobby that requires enough electrical knowledge to work with potentially lethal voltages.
If truly want to drive something more classic and want that more traditional driving experience vs driving the more techy newer cars - if you find some support in your area and want to pursue this, doing it from scratch is really tricky because that initial conversion is for sure $10-$20k. No way around it - it adds up and quick. But, it's entirely possible to pick up a 2nd hand conversion from someone getting out of the game for less than $5k, but there won't be a whole lot of options. Doubt you'd see a Corolla ever come along, but maybe a Civic. I see Saturns from time to time - they are less weighty so a few people did them up. Hmmm... VW kits were pretty popular, maybe an old Jetta would be something you'd see in the wild come up for sale. You'll probably have to trailer it from somewhere within a days drive - for example, people come up here to Portland from CA all the time, or I remember a guy from Spokane came down for an old Mustang I was helping to sell. That's prettty common. I went to Arcata once to pick up a parts Electravan to back mine up. That sort of thing.
In any case, even if you get a reasonable deal on the vehicle, it's a safe bet that the batteries will be toast or near it, and you'll be looking at another $3-$4k+ for a pack that'd probably get you like 90 miles in a Civic. And potentially other components would might need upgraded, plus any labor to get them boxed and installed. Definitely for that price, a used Leaf, or something can offer you that gasless experience with a lot higher chance of not becoming a mess. You REALLY have to want and fall in love with a conversion to own one - anyone who has one will tell you they are a handful.
btw- a Bolt could get you up near the similar range as a gas Corolla I would think, but that's probably about it. a Leaf can go 90 miles or so unless you get one of the jumbo 60kwh packs. You have to rework your life around that kind of range, takes some adjustments. A Bolt can go 225 miles or so, probably less of an adjustment.
If there's an EV club in your area, go to a monthly meeting, talk to folks, check it all out.

·
Registered
1 Posts

In any case, even if you get a reasonable deal on the vehicle, it's a safe bet that the batteries will be toast or near it, and you'll be looking at another $3-$4k+ for a pack that'd probably get you like 90 miles in a Civic. And potentially other components would might need upgraded, plus any labor to get them boxed and installed. Definitely for that price, a used Leaf, or something can offer you that gasless experience with a lot higher chance of not becoming a mess. You REALLY have to want and fall in love with a conversion to own one - anyone who has one will tell you they are a handful.
btw- a Bolt could get you up near the similar range as a gas Corolla I would think, but that's probably about it. a Leaf can go 90 miles or so unless you get one of the jumbo 60kwh packs. You have to rework your life around that kind of range, takes some adjustments. A Bolt can go 225 miles or so, probably less of an adjustment.
If there's an EV club in your area, go to a monthly meeting, talk to folks, check it all out.
Some great advice guys, thanks.

I am a V-8 guy but love electrics too, it started with a golf cart for me, amazing cromagnon technology! I researched it a lot in the eighties, decided the technology just wasn’t there.

My kids are now of driving age and want to go electric, my son wants a Tesla, my daughter wants a VW Bug but in my research these last few months, I think a used Leaf or Volt is the way to go for them.

Now that GM is selling an EV Kit (described as ‘a volt without a body’) I think a Volt now and maybe a Volt based VW conversion for my daughter and maybe a Used Tesla for my son.

If they are responsible enough to pay for them, I will help with selection and maintenance.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Now that GM is selling an EV Kit (described as ‘a volt without a body’) I think a Volt now and maybe a Volt based VW conversion for my daughter and maybe a Used Tesla for my son.
Perhaps you meant "a Bolt without a body"; the Volt is an out-of-production hybrid, not an EV. I have not heard of a full Bolt-based kit, only the drive unit as a "crate motor".

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello,

I'm going to be honest idk anything about cars, but I ain't paying gas, so I'm going to get an EV Car. However, I saw that EV converted cars are a thing so I'm gonna ask for any EV converted cars for sale specifically in the LA county, Riverside county, or orange county area. I would prefer a corolla that was converted to EV but my question is that if the corolla had an EV conversion done, will it still have the same range, and will the battery last longer?
Hello denoce4262,

I live in Los Angeles (near LAX) and I've been thinking about selling my EV conversion, "El Ohmbre." It's a 1985 Chevy S-10 small pickup. I did the original conversion in 2009 using lead/acid batteries. This was my daily work commuter car for several years. I upgraded to lithium batteries from a salvaged Nissan Leaf in 2017. You can see pictures and read about the original conversion on this website: Electric Vehicle Conversion Project Named El Ohmbre

However, I never got the same range as a gas car. Also, there is still some work to do on the new batteries. I've never added a battery management system which lithium batteries need. I can explain more if you're interested. Just send me a message.

I might even be willing to include the cool California "ohmbre" license plates.

Regards,
Tom ("El Ohmbre")

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.