DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a concept vehicle I've been thinking about for a while. Trying to get lucky and get $100K to build a prototype by getting enough "Likes" in this facebook idea contest (share also if you like it):
http://www.facebook.com/KetelOne/app_228870700557121?app_data=/472/idea/

But I want to also pose the question to the forum for technical ideas on how to go about building a solid prototype if the contest money pans out. I was thinking about a lean-stearing 3-wheeler base frame along the lines of Carver/Persu or Nissan's Land Glider - it might require a partnership/purchase to have a practical chance at achieving this. Then working with a bike company like Trek or exercise machine company like ProForm on the internal mechanism for the sake of co-branding and PR/promotion of the concept vehicle.

Either you get it right away or you don't, but my idea is that it would be fun to pedal comfortably at 65mph on a highway. Other e-vehicles that use human exercise inputs are limited in speed and function. It's like riding a bike but with a slight boost. This is the exact opposite, where the pedaling is just replacing a "gas" pedal as a way to tell the car how fast to go. Pedal slow on light resistance to go 20mph, pedal on more resistance and faster and you can go 80mph - but obviously the pedaling is not directly geared into the wheels or power system. Sure maybe it could help slightly charge the electric battery... but this real idea is about totally rethinking the fun/experience side of things. I think the Segway got it exactly backwards... Kamen thought, how can we stay sedentary during shorter distances... my thought is, how can we automatically build more phyical activity and fun into our daily lives as they are?

Please let me know your thoughts and get out the word on the Facebook likes campaign. I'll be back looking for partnership referrals shortly if I actually win this thing!

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
312 Posts
......my idea is that it would be fun to pedal comfortably at 65mph on a highway.
I have enough trouble concentrating while talking on a cell phone at 65 mph, I can't imagine what pedaling at 65 mph would be like. LOL

I assume you would have to steer and brake with your hands or do you just pedal backwards to stop?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly, there's some more detail at my link but you've got it. Steering rig has hand brakes, so it's as easy as riding a bike - something you never forget once you learn it. (You're right though, cell phone use should be limited or docked and voice activated only.)

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Interesting idea. The primary issue I see is that most people don't ride bikes to get somewhere because they need to arrive in a way that is not conducive to biking, otherwise they would just be riding a bike around for fun anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it'd typically be the primary car in a household. Also, I don't think it'd be mass market in a way that would compete with a Corolla.

The idea came about because riding bikes is fun and good exercise. But everyone just rots away motionless in their cars, shifting during turns instead of comfortably leaning into them. People that have a long commute on dangerous roads don't have the option to cycle to work. And what if it rains a lot in your climate? This allows commuters of any EV-doable distance to essentially bike to work, but at car speeds in the main part of the road in an enclosed recumbant vehicle. Not sweat-dreanching exercise either, climate control and even perhaps an internal fan like they currently have on stationary exercise machines at any gym... it's just that you get to actually move your body rather than sitting there for 35 minutes at a time at both ends of a long desk day. You'd be just as presentable when you show up as you would after walking somewhere.

In any case, I want one and I'd like to build the prototype - "Like" in in the FB contest and I'll keep the board updated on progress if I can make any.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
picture something like this, with a pedaling motion controling how fast you go but not in the way you're used to. Going around turns is like banking on an airplane, and the sensation of pedaling is what it must feel like whenever Superman rides a bike. This could be the most fun that is humanly possible!

·
Registered
601 Posts
interesting concept. I was going to look at the detail page, but I don't do facebook. Seems you have to be a member to look at your page. oh well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry Michael -- the facebook page link is only because Kettle One & GQ are sponsoring an idea contest where the winner gets $100K to build their idea. I think I have a shot, but they don't give you much real estate to explain it - I do have some concept car and VC connections so it's not a pipe dream though I'm no Elon Musk. Start small, think big. If you know anyone that does FB I do need some Likes to get the judge's attention. Here's a copy+paste of it though:

E-AutoFitTrike By Sean Quigley
The E-AutoFitTrike is the way fit, refined, & responsible people will commute to work. The light carbon fiber (airbag-lined) 3-wheeled “car” has a very different feature: instead of gas and brake pedals, you control your acceleration with a bike-like pedaling motion, and use hand brakes. Because the 3 wheeler tilts to lean around turns, you never feel sideways forces, just the thrilling sensation of riding a bicycle. You see, pedaling controls speed, but those inputs are scaled up with a full size electric battery and motor so you can comfortably travel for long distances along with automobile traffic. This is the opposite of an electric-assist bicycle because the exercise motion is now just a means of controlling acceleration while the electric engine controls all direct power. The pedaling motion is only for fun, exercise, and to help continually charge the battery. Social problems solved? Energy Crisis/Costs, Climate, Obesity, Recreation, Healthcare Costs, Gross National Happiness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts