DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a message saying "Forbidden" when I click on the tab. I am logged in. I posted my car there several years ago, and would like to update the information.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Wow, I somehow missed this. Great work.

Vertical Scope has been particularly ignorant/incompetent lately. Some other forums I'm on, problems have persisted for months now too.

I really think the knowledge in this community is worth archiving, and I wish the community was worth restoring, or that they'd hand over the keys. The pieces are all there, just no one who owns it gives a fuck about putting them back together.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Wow, I somehow missed this. Great work.

Vertical Scope has been particularly ignorant/incompetent lately. Some other forums I'm on, problems have persisted for months now too.

I really think the knowledge in this community is worth archiving, and I wish the community was worth restoring, or that they'd hand over the keys. The pieces are all there, just no one who owns it gives a fuck about putting them back together.
All they need to do is unlock the permissions to that portion of the forum. Someone locked it by mistake and no further access has been allowed. Not sure why. Even if all the past information was gone for good it would be good to have that available again. Or someone here can build a garage on another platform and put a sticky link to that garage.

·
Registered
522 Posts
So like, who owns this forum?? Why are we giving them valuable content for just existing...? I had assumed it was some fellow enthusiast...

·
Registered
290 Posts
All they need to do is unlock the permissions to that portion of the forum. Someone locked it by mistake and no further access has been allowed. Not sure why. Even if all the past information was gone for good it would be good to have that available again. Or someone here can build a garage on another platform and put a sticky link to that garage.
Unfortunately, it's not that simple. The garage on this site runs on a separate database and has a Ruby-based frontend. Unfortunately, the version of Ruby it works with is no longer supported, and not available anymore, and the admins of the site don't have anyone with the necessary expertise to update it. It's all detailed in the thread I linked above, so I had to go around the site and rebuild it from the web archive.

·
Registered
290 Posts
So like, who owns this forum?? Why are we giving them valuable content for just existing...? I had assumed it was some fellow enthusiast...
It used to be, but ownership was transferred to Vertical Scope, so they could handle the hassle of keeping it up and running, and in return they get the ad revenue.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I highly suspect "sold", not transferred.

Probably for $5000-10,000.

I don't even know who started this community and thus who would've been around to collect that cheque.

Vertical Scope went around buying up all the automotive related grassroots communities from their owners a few years ago. With forums being a dying thing, they've had tremendous success getting owners to sell out their communities under the guise of "they're going to take care of it from now on, they'll do a better job than I can, I don't have much time for it these days".

Nope, just straight up sold out and cashed in. Maybe they justified to themselves as ethical under those reasons but, frankly, bullshit that it was anything other than dump and run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts