DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to forum. I am interested in the upcoming conversion kits that are bound to start appearing on the market. Affordable kits that work,not business rip offs.....
I have a sub compact FWD and there are many that would be good platforms for kits that will work and have the needed adjustments for varying axle lengths,power requirements
etc and have good solutions for the power steering and AC designs.I have a Toyota with over 500K miles on it and still in great shape. BUt the end is coming and I would like to convert to an all electric. I am not paying 25K for a new vehicle. Sorry.
So I come here. Hope my Toyota really turns into an EV. I dont think I need any mechanical drive backup connection in my set up. JUst electric and and onboard
very small generator,gasoline, that can get me home if needed.Not a metal to metal drive option.That seems to make it too complicated and expensive.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
I wouldn't expect more ready-made conversion kits which are specific to a vehicle. With a range of production EVs now available there is no longer a need for conversion just to get an EV; conversion has become a hobbyist activity mostly for people wanting an interesting and unique project.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i meant a kit for most any small front wheel drive....do you think there will, be a electric new car model

with onboard generator model soon for under 20K?? with at least a 150 mile range??

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
i meant a kit for most any small front wheel drive....
Since the battery is a major required component, and there is no battery package which will fit every car, there is no reasonable way to do a complete kit even for the drivetrain. Then there are all the bits which are specific to the vehicle, such as an adapter to mount the motor to the transmission. It just becomes not much more than a package of a motor with compatible controller, so there's no advantage to the "kit" approach.

....do you think there will, be a electric new car model with onboard generator model soon for under 20K?? with at least a 150 mile range??
No. That's a plug-in series hybrid, and it generally doesn't make sense to build those with long range - the large battery plus engine and generator is just too much weight, cost, and complexity. The only vehicle of this type that I can think of with this range which has been mass-produced is the BMW i3 REX... and it costs far more than US$20,000 (it starts at US$48,850). I wouldn't expect to ever see an EV with a 150 mile range for that price, and certainly not one with a engine and generator set as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts