DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about converting a gas powered moped to electric for a couple of reasons. First, Mopeds are lighter then full motorcycles but can still handle speeds up to 40 or 50 mph. Second, there is no special operating license to get. Third, the project just sounds like it would be fun. I was wondering if I could get some thoughts on my project.

I was plan on keeping the build around the $1,000 range. For my parts, I was going to use a 48v Etek clone motor off ebay. For a controller I was thinking a 300amp 48v Alltrax controler would be a good one to go with, but I can't deiced which model to go with. The programmable or non-programmable? What do you guys think? Also, Im not sure what batteries to go with in terms of amp hours and type. I was thinking SLA to keep the price down, but I would like to get 15+ miles out of a single charge. More is also better. What do you think would be good?

As the project progresses I will continue to post my thoughts and comments. Plenty of pictures will be taken to upload too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip. I will check that site out, but at this point I dont think I am going to use the pedals anymore. That seems like a lot of extra time and work.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I will check that site out, but at this point I dont think I am going to use the pedals anymore. That seems like a lot of extra time and work.
Depending where you live (or plan to drive), if you remove the pedals it will no longer be a "Moped". You may then have to license and insure it as a motorcycle.

Later,
Keith

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
mopeds, in almost all states, have speed limitations. Legally I think you're limited to about 25mph. Take off those pedals and now its a motorcycle/scooter and you have to register it, although you may not need a motorcycle license, but you would still have speed limitations.

45+mph on a moped is just stupid, its just asking to get hurt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts