DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Battery 500 Project recently held its kickoff meeting at IBM's Almaden Laboratory in San Jose, Calif., where leading scientists, engineers and other experts brainstormed about how to perfect the power source for all-electric automobiles.

As a part of IBM's 2-year-old Big Green Innovations program, the Battery 500 Project aims to boost the range of rechargeable batteries for all-electric cars from less than 100 miles today to as far as 500 miles. The consortium's efforts are being led by the Almaden Lab in collaboration with several U.S. universities and the Department of Energy's national labs.

Read the full article here - http://www.smartertechnology.com/c/...500-Project-Charged-Up-over-AllElectric-Cars/

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Very cool stuff... although I read that any battery which uses oxygen would be difficult to recharge since oxygen bonds are quite difficult to reverse. Also, if oxygen is taken from the air, then something has to be put back, right? I hope its not toxic and I hope there will be enough oxygen left for us to breathe, ya know, breathing is a tough addiction to beat :rolleyes:

I really hope that IBM will once again rise as a technology leader...

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hmm, I don't believe them till they have a product you can buy! News like this come out every few weeks/months but our options are still very limited.

However, a 500% improvement is hard to believe.

IBM is a huge company. When such companies announce to start developing a product it sometimes takes decades till the product gets available (if ever in this case) and I doubt it will get available for us DIYers.

My opinion is that we should use the best components that are available now, and not hold our breath for some new, 500% improved products.

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, I don't believe them till they have a product you can buy! News like this come out every few weeks/months but our options are still very limited.

However, a 500% improvement is hard to believe.

IBM is a huge company. When such companies announce to start developing a product it sometimes takes decades till the product gets available (if ever in this case) and I doubt it will get available for us DIYers.

My opinion is that we should use the best components that are available now, and not hold our breath for some new, 500% improved products.

Wouldn't one would think that with enough R&D time and money put into it that we'll eventually figure out better batteries? I say go with what's available now but it's exciting to think that there are large backings to improving the tech.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I hope its not toxic and I hope there will be enough oxygen left for us to breathe, ya know, breathing is a tough addiction to beat
No way that they need so much oxygen to feel a difference.

Big ICE engines suck in thousands of liters of air in a minute.

Wouldn't one would think that with enough R&D time and money put into it that we'll eventually figure out better batteries? I say go with what's available now but it's exciting to think that there are large backings to improving the tech.
Of course it's exciting. We can call ourselves pioneers in one of the fastest growing and most promising industries. Who knows what we'll be able to do in 10 years :)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
One day there were lamp based electronics and then someone discovered semiconductors. I bet there was a day when it was published and some people said "I don't believe it until I can buy one, I'm going to still go and buy that lamp based radio".

News like this should not stop people from buying stuff that exists today, but you have to admit that nano technologies have huge potential, since manipulating materials on molecular levels opens huge potentials for future technologies. Just look at CPU capacities and Moore's law. Clearly giants like IBM can afford to invest in such R&D and kudos to them for doing it.

Its not the same as EEStore's claims though, because IBM doesn't keep it hush-hush and doesn't bullshit people with "leaked" phone calls. Whenever you see an open collaboration between several major companies, some good can come out of it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Did they have a year this was supposed to be coming out to the public or is it just a project at hand to see if they can do it?
Reminds me of the future cars in the auto shows that never came to market, but they are a good sale for people to invest in, which is just another sales pitch and a white lie.

Or maybe they will stretch it and give us some false hope that it will be within the next 5 to 10 years when most of us will be in rocking chairs and can't see the blasted road anymore. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts