DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I currently have a 1986 d21 datsun ute ( hardbody ) with a 1997 s14 sr20de .
My plan is to swap in an em 57 from a nissan leaf connected to the sr20de gearbox with no clutch .
To control the inverter I'll use the thunderstruck vcu.
My intention is to use 12 60v 3kw/h Lg chem modules in a 6s2p (hope i got that right..)configuration to acheive 360v .
Most of the fabrication is sorted altho I have a few questions you may be able to help with...
1/ What is the tolerance of the nissan inverter to non standard voltage ie is 360 v close enough / and or can you give it more..
2/ What would be max amp the em57 can draw?
Thanks for your time with this .
cheers

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
My intention is to use 12 60v 3kw/h Lg chem modules in a 6s2p (hope i got that right..)configuration to acheive 360v .
1/ What is the tolerance of the nissan inverter to non standard voltage ie is 360 v close enough / and or can you give it more.
The nominal voltage of that LG Chem battery would be nearly the same as the stock Leaf battery - both are 96S configurations, and the voltage difference due to different cell cathode materials isn't significant. I don't know how much higher the Leaf inverter can handle.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
My plan is to swap in an em 57 from a nissan leaf ...
To control the inverter I'll use the thunderstruck vcu.
2/ What would be max amp the em57 can draw?
The EM57 is the second generation of Leaf motor, used from 2013 through 2017 (model years). Although the motor itself is probably identical to both earlier and later variants, this one differs from the original in the integration of the inverter and charger on top, and from the later version by a different power rating. They probably all have about the same current limit.

The motor current and power are limited by programmed limits in the controller, so using the stock controller (via the Thunderstuck VCU) you will still have those limits. Assuming that the maximum current applies up to the lowest speed at which the maximum power limit is reached, then that 80 kW limit at 360 V implies 222 amps in the DC link (which is not the current in the motor windings, but I assume the question is about what the battery must supply).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Brian,
That helps . So what would be recommended for the fuse ratings etc, can I set it up for say 400amp rated gear or is 250amp a better Idea?
Thanks for your time with this.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
So what would be recommended for the fuse ratings etc, can I set it up for say 400amp rated gear or is 250amp a better Idea?
Other people should jump in with more specific and qualified comments, but fuses protect wiring from overload; they are not to control current to some limit. If all of the wiring components (including contactors) can handle 400 amps, then that's the fuse which would be suitable, even if the motor never needs even 250 amps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts