DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking into electric swapping a 1978 Porsche 911 and don’t know where to start. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
And what are your objectives from the build? Range, performance, budget, bragging rights, track/street. But mostly... Budget.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And what are your objectives from the build? Range, performance, budget, bragging rights, track/street. But mostly... Budget.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I would like about 150 miles or range, pretty f**king fast, and well for the budget, we’ll see.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Well. You're looking at $15k to start. Using Model S or Electric GT OX batteries (which you'll probably need to get 150mi of range in that little car), you'll likely be looking at more like $25k. These are all napkin numbers, mind you...

EV west sells kits that bolt in:

You can save money on the kit, but you'll more than pay for it in fabrication. It depends on what you can do yourself vs what you'd have to pay someone else for. If I were doing a 911, I'd want to use as many pre-made items as possible. Factoring resale...Nobody is too fond of a hacked up Porsche.

Cheapest way to get batteries is to buy the whole car and part out the rest, but that's a pain. Second cheapest is to buy a salvaged pack from somewhere.

The upside is that 911s have been done a bunch, and they take to it well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So I'd certainly start by reading this whole thread: 911 RSR with Tesla Motor...

Beyond that, as Tremelune pointed out, there are quite a few conversions out there to be inspired by. I'm working on one as a matter of fact - a 1980 conversion with a Tesla unit modified using the open source controller and LG Chem batteries.

The thing to also know is that EV West does to Tesla conversion kits, however due to the batteries they were using in the original kit (LG Chem) no longer being available, they are reconfiguring this kit and there is a long wait list now to get them to build out the kit for your vehicle. Note that this is different to the regular conversion kits they have noted above (which I don't think would thrill you or achieve your range desires).

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The thing to also know is that EV West does to Tesla conversion kits, however
EV West also sells broken parts and then ignores you for 6 months and won't replace them.

Used to recommend them, now I don't.

Do you want to be one of the people stuck with ten thousand dollars+ of metal sculpture while they keep selling things to new customers but somehow don't have time to return a phone call or email to discuss why every single item you bought from them is faulty in a different way?

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are some really strong, informative blogs out there that provide tremendous detail and insight into the conversion process for a classic 911.

Here's the first one that comes to mind....I'll add more as I remember them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts