DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I´m a street rodder from Sweden in northern Europe. I´m converting my 1947 Ford Business Coupe to EV by puting in Tesla components. I have a small driveunit with subframe that will replace the rear axle and my plan is to get a batterypack from a Model 3 LR and place it low in the chassis. I will have to split the battrypack in smaler sections to fit it in to the car.
The build is a three year plan and the criteries ar as follows:
Rear wheel drive
Around 300 whp
Limited slip differential (Burnouts are important!
:D
)
Batteripack in chassis
Supercharging with at least 50kW
Range around 600 miles fully charged.

Any input on this build will be appreciated!
Bicycle part Font Metal Machine Auto part

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle
Wood Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Electrical supply

Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Window

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
I´m converting my 1947 Ford Business Coupe to EV by puting in Tesla components. I have a small driveunit with subframe that will replace the rear axle and my plan is to get a batterypack from a Model 3 LR and place it low in the chassis. I will have to split the battrypack in smaler sections to fit it in to the car.
That's a tough battery module packaging challenge, especially with the enormous Model 3 modules. You might want to check out SuperfastMatt's Jaguar Mk V project in YouTube, which is essentially the same swap into a similar chassis.

·
Administrator
6,441 Posts
Hi
I´m a street rodder from Sweden in northern Europe. I´m converting my 1947 Ford Business Coupe to EV by puting in Tesla components. I have a small driveunit with subframe that will replace the rear axle and my plan is to get a batterypack from a Model 3 LR and place it low in the chassis. I will have to split the battrypack in smaler sections to fit it in to the car.
The build is a three year plan and the criteries ar as follows:
Rear wheel drive
Around 300 whp
Limited slip differential (Burnouts are important!
:D
)
Batteripack in chassis
Supercharging with at least 50kW
Range around 600 miles fully charged.

Any input on this build will be appreciated!
That's all relatively doable - until you get to 600 miles range
That will require the complete battery packs out of at least THREE Model 3 LR's - which will kill your performance

Do you NEED that much range?? - remember you will be eating at least twice as much power as a Model 3 just driving along the road

·
Administrator
6,441 Posts
I assume that the intention was DC charging from Tesla's Supercharger stations. As has been often discussed, that is unlikely to work with salvaged Tesla components.
By "Supercharging", I don't think you meant "Supercharging™", correct?

^ C'mon Duncan...that was back in the heyday of "streamlining". If he keeps the weight down, he could do better than a '3 around town.
Its more streamlined than my Device - but so is a brick flying sideways

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's all relatively doable - until you get to 600 miles range
That will require the complete battery packs out of at least THREE Model 3 LR's - which will kill your performance

Do you NEED that much range?? - remember you will be eating at least twice as much power as a Model 3 just driving along the road
Sorry, did a misscalculation from km to miles! :rolleyes:
My aim in 400km range and that would be somewhere around 250miles.

·
Administrator
6,441 Posts
Sorry, did a misscalculation from km to miles! :rolleyes:
My aim in 400km range and that would be somewhere around 250miles.
Even that will be quite a stretch! - range is the most expensive part of an EV
- my car is very unaerodynamic so I need 130 kg of battery to take me 50 km at 100 kph
Your car will be larger but more aerodynamic so lets say they cancel out - 400 km will mean (roughly) 1040 kg of battery weight

Its worth sitting down and doing an analysis of the miles (km) that you actually drive
When I did that I found that 50 km was fine for most days - BUT when I needed more I needed 150 km
So I decided on the shorter range and lower weight (and greater performance)

Teslas do the 250 miles - and make it look easy - but it isn't easy!

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Agreed. It's painful to tell people you're targeting 100-130 miles of range in your sports car build. Weight means crappy performance on all fronts....for a car.

The truck, however, needs in excess of 150kWh for hauling/towing for 150-200 miles of laden range, optimistically, so a tonne of batteries is in the chassis before your 45kg mistress sits in it. Then you get windbags like Musk bragging about 0-60 with a semi when all a truck guy cares about is getting up Vail Pass without smoking the clutch and doing more than 30mph in the climb.

I also get tremendous heartburn with ICE clowns demanding 1000 miles of range they expect from "next generation batteries" before they'll buy electric...no...the car should get lighter. Pissing in a bottle to drive without stopping is a bit mentally ill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.