DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed these on eBay. It's a 100 watt DC/DC converter with a 12v
nominal input (10-20vdc) and a 15vdc regulated output. Could be useful
for folks using a 12v accessory battery without a DC/DC and suffering
with dim headlights and slow wipers. This could give you a steady 15v
for these loads regardless of the battery voltage. The 15v output has a
trimpot, and so could presumably be set for whatever you like.

I have no direct knowledge of these parts, and no connection with the
seller. Caveat emptor!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vicor-DC-DC-Converter-Module-VI-202-CX-12V-IN-15V-OUT_W0QQitemZ250166395797QQihZ015QQcategoryZ25300QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget the perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in -- Leonard Cohen
--
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmm, the output is only 75 watts.

Don't auto headlights draw about 60 watts (each)? I can't remember if
that is on high or low-beam though. I'd think you'd want to make sure
these could handle the high-beam power requirements.

> I just noticed these on eBay. It's a 100 watt DC/DC converter with a 12v
> nominal input (10-20vdc) and a 15vdc regulated output. Could be useful
> for folks using a 12v accessory battery without a DC/DC and suffering
> with dim headlights and slow wipers. This could give you a steady 15v
> for these loads regardless of the battery voltage. The 15v output has a
> trimpot, and so could presumably be set for whatever you like.
>
> I have no direct knowledge of these parts, and no connection with the
> seller. Caveat emptor!
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Vicor-DC-DC-Converter-Module-VI-202-CX-12V-IN-15V-OUT_W0QQitemZ250166395797QQihZ015QQcategoryZ25300QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
> --
> Ring the bells that still can ring
> Forget the perfect offering
> There is a crack in everything
> That's how the light gets in -- Leonard Cohen
> --
> Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>


--
If you send email to me, or the EVDL, that has > 4 lines of legalistic
junk at the end; then you are specifically authorizing me to do whatever I
wish with the message. By posting the message you agree that your long
legalistic signature is void.

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you know what you're doing, these Vicor modules can be paralleled to
boost the current output.
I've successfully paralleled as many as 8 Vicor 300v-to-48v 4amp modules to
deliver up to 32amps into 48v for use in a home-built 2-stage charger.
Normally you want to use "booster" modules to put in parallel with "driver"
Vicor modules, but it's easy to make driver modules happy to be boosters.
-Myles Twete, Portland, Or.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf
Of Peter VanDerWal
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 11:54 PM
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] 12v to 15v DC/DC on eBay

Hmm, the output is only 75 watts.

Don't auto headlights draw about 60 watts (each)? I can't remember if
that is on high or low-beam though. I'd think you'd want to make sure
these could handle the high-beam power requirements.

> I just noticed these on eBay. It's a 100 watt DC/DC converter with a 12v
> nominal input (10-20vdc) and a 15vdc regulated output. Could be useful
> for folks using a 12v accessory battery without a DC/DC and suffering
> with dim headlights and slow wipers. This could give you a steady 15v
> for these loads regardless of the battery voltage. The 15v output has a
> trimpot, and so could presumably be set for whatever you like.
>
> I have no direct knowledge of these parts, and no connection with the
> seller. Caveat emptor!
>
>
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vicor-DC-DC-Converter-Module-VI-202-CX-12V-IN-15V-OUT_W0
QQitemZ250166395797QQihZ015QQcategoryZ25300QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZView
Item#ebayphotohosting
> --
> Ring the bells that still can ring
> Forget the perfect offering
> There is a crack in everything
> That's how the light gets in -- Leonard Cohen
> --
> Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>


--
If you send email to me, or the EVDL, that has > 4 lines of legalistic
junk at the end; then you are specifically authorizing me to do whatever I
wish with the message. By posting the message you agree that your long
legalistic signature is void.

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Prepare yourself for this morning's funny.......

Those are pretty cheap too. You could buy one for each of your batteries and hook the output to the next battery in the string chaining them all the way down the string then looping the last one back to the first battery and your pack would charge itself.

Those that think I'm serious please hit the delete button now, and forget you read anything like this.

--
Stay Charged!
Hump
I-5, Blossvale NY

>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
> Behalf Of Lee Hart
> Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 10:46 PM
> To: EV list
> Subject: [EVDL] 12v to 15v DC/DC on eBay
>
> I just noticed these on eBay. It's a 100 watt DC/DC converter with a 12v
>
> nominal input (10-20vdc) and a 15vdc regulated output. Could be useful
> for folks using a 12v accessory battery without a DC/DC and suffering
> with dim headlights and slow wipers. This could give you a steady 15v
> for these loads regardless of the battery voltage. The 15v output has a
> trimpot, and so could presumably be set for whatever you like.
>
> I have no direct knowledge of these parts, and no connection with the
> seller. Caveat emptor!
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Vicor-DC-DC-Converter-Module-VI-202-CX-12V-IN-15V-OU
> T_W0QQitemZ250166395797QQihZ015QQcategoryZ25300QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQ
> cmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
> --
> Ring the bells that still can ring
> Forget the perfect offering
> There is a crack in everything
> That's how the light gets in -- Leonard Cohen
>


_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, sounds much too complicated, besides the voltage potential between
the first and last battery might exceed the device's isolation
capabilities.

Much easier to just hook the output of each one back to the battery
powering it.

Of course there is the small loss in efficiency.... but hey, we can make
it up in volume!

;-D

>
>
> Prepare yourself for this morning's funny.......
>
> Those are pretty cheap too. You could buy one for each of your batteries
> and hook the output to the next battery in the string chaining them all
> the way down the string then looping the last one back to the first
> battery and your pack would charge itself.
>
> Those that think I'm serious please hit the delete button now, and forget
> you read anything like this.
>
> --
> Stay Charged!
> Hump
> I-5, Blossvale NY
>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
>> Behalf Of Lee Hart
>> Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 10:46 PM
>> To: EV list
>> Subject: [EVDL] 12v to 15v DC/DC on eBay
>>
>> I just noticed these on eBay. It's a 100 watt DC/DC converter with a 12v
>>
>> nominal input (10-20vdc) and a 15vdc regulated output. Could be useful
>> for folks using a 12v accessory battery without a DC/DC and suffering
>> with dim headlights and slow wipers. This could give you a steady 15v
>> for these loads regardless of the battery voltage. The 15v output has a
>> trimpot, and so could presumably be set for whatever you like.
>>
>> I have no direct knowledge of these parts, and no connection with the
>> seller. Caveat emptor!
>>
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/Vicor-DC-DC-Converter-Module-VI-202-CX-12V-IN-15V-OU
>> T_W0QQitemZ250166395797QQihZ015QQcategoryZ25300QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQ
>> cmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
>> --
>> Ring the bells that still can ring
>> Forget the perfect offering
>> There is a crack in everything
>> That's how the light gets in -- Leonard Cohen
>>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>


--
If you send email to me, or the EVDL, that has > 4 lines of legalistic
junk at the end; then you are specifically authorizing me to do whatever I
wish with the message. By posting the message you agree that your long
legalistic signature is void.

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hump wrote:
>> You could buy one for each of your batteries and hook the output to
>> the next battery in the string chaining them all the way down the
>> string then looping the last one back to the first battery and your
>> pack would charge itself.

It could be used to *balance* the pack. But to charge it, connect all
their 12v inputs to a single large source that is AC powered.

Vicor modules are very reliable and well made, so this could be an
excellent modular charging system. But the cost would be prohibitive
(unless you get them cheap like this).

Peter VanDerWal wrote:
> Hmm, sounds much too complicated, besides the voltage potential between
> the first and last battery might exceed the device's isolation
> capabilities.

Vicor specs 4000v isolation input-out, 1500v input to baseplate, and
500v output to baseplate. I've never had one fail hipot. However, the PC
board layout may compromise this.
--
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget the perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in -- Leonard Cohen
--
Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top