DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received the first 7 digests since the Mailman switch, but the next 6
went missing. I finally received #14 this afternoon.

I logged into my account to make sure it wasn't on hold and noticed the
bounce score of 3. How is this score determined? I've never had any mail
problems except with the EVDL and SJSU.

When will the Mailman digests start showing up in the EVDL Archives? I've
got some reading to catch up on!

Thanks - Adrian

.

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On 6 Aug 2007 at 18:50, Adrian DeLeon wrote:

> I received the first 7 digests since the Mailman switch, but the next 6
> went missing. I finally received #14 this afternoon.

Based on what you say below, it would seem that your mail server bounced
some or all of these messages back to Mailman.

>
> I logged into my account to make sure it wasn't on hold and noticed the
> bounce score of 3. How is this score determined?

>From the Mailman manual :

----- begin quoted text ----

When a bounce is received, Mailman tries to extract two pieces of
information from the message: the address of the member the message was
intended for, and the severity of the problem causing the bounce. The
severity can be either hard for fatal errors, or soft for transient errors.
When in doubt, a hard severity is used.

If no member address can be extracted from the bounce, then the bounce
message is usually discarded. Every member has a bounce score, initialized
at zero, and every time we encounter a bounce from a member we increment
that member's score. Hard bounces increment by 1 while soft bounces
increment by 0.5. We only increment the bounce score once per day, so even
if we receive ten hard bounces from a member per day, their score will
increase by only 1 for that day.

When a member's bounce score is greater than the bounce score threshold (see
below), the member's subscription is disabled. Once disabled, the member
will not receive any postings from the list until their membership is
explicitly re-enabled, either by the list administrator or the user.
However, they will receive occasional reminders that their membership has
been disabled, and these reminders will include information about how to re-
enable their membership.

----- end quoted text -----

Currently the bounce score threshold is set quite low, at 1.5. After
disabling a large number of addresses the first few days, Mailman has
settled down to just a couple per day.

If we get wind of too many people being put on suspension, we'll try nudging
it up a bit. We'll go slowly on this because we want to avoid a repetition
of the problem we had the first day, when the mail queue got seriously
constipated by repeated attempts to deliver to bad email addresses.

>
> When will the Mailman digests start showing up in the EVDL Archives? I've got
> some reading to catch up on!

The Yahoo digest archive seems to be working fine.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ev/


David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Want to unsubscribe, stop the EV list mail while you're on vacation,
or switch to digest mode? See how: http://www.evdl.org/help/
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =


_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lurkers take note!!

I use this E-mail address only for sending post to the list. I use a different one to read it.

When we made the switch to Mailman, this email address was in postpone mode. Mailman converted it back to mail mode. So I was receiveing all of the indivual messsages. OK, no problem. BUT! here's what I don't quite understand.... I tried to reply to a couple of messages and nothing happened. They didn't go through and I didn't get an error message. I tried to log into Mailman using the link at the bottom of this message and of course I didn't know what arbitrary password Mailman had assigned to me so I had to request it be sent.

Well as we all know "things pass in the mail".

Messages came flying back to me all at once... first I got the bounce messages stating that I couldn't post because this email address wasn't subscribed. (Huh? why was I receiving posts if I wasn't subscribed)

Then I got a message assigning me my password. (which didn't work)

Then messages stopped coming in....

Then I went to the link below and re-subscribed and here I am today fat, stupid and ugly.... err I mean fat, dumb and happy.... :)

I actually said that one day to a guy as I was meeting his newborn son.... "Look at him sitting there all fat, stupid and ugly.... wait that's not right, how's that saying go...." sad thing is, that baby was ugly.....


Now, we'll see how many are still reading. Does any body know where I can get a cheap Curtis programmer, either the 1311 handheld or the 1314 PC version? I have 4 Curtis 12xx controllers and they're pretty much useless without the programmer. I'm not going to pay retail for a Curtis programmer when a more powerful Alltrax controller is cheaper.


--
Stay Charged!
Hump
I-5
'68 Squareback in progress
'37 Ford Legends based tadpole trike in progress



>Once disabled, the member
> will not receive any postings from the list until their membership is
> explicitly re-enabled, either by the list administrator or the user.
> However, they will receive occasional reminders that their membership
> has
> been disabled, and these reminders will include information about how to
> re-
> enable their membership.
>
>
> Currently the bounce score threshold is set quite low, at 1.5. After
> disabling a large number of addresses the first few days, Mailman has
> settled down to just a couple per day.
>



_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi All;

Testing??? Maybe this works as I can only reply, not send thing with the
New System? The [email protected] doesn't work for me!
WTF?

Bob
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Humphrey" <[email protected]>
To: "EV" <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 9:27 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Archives, Bounce Score, and Missing digests


>
> Lurkers take note!!
>
> I use this E-mail address only for sending post to the list. I use a
> different one to read it.
>
> When we made the switch to Mailman, this email address was in postpone
> mode. Mailman converted it back to mail mode. So I was receiveing all of
> the indivual messsages. OK, no problem. BUT! here's what I don't quite
> understand.... I tried to reply to a couple of messages and nothing
> happened. They didn't go through and I didn't get an error message. I
> tried to log into Mailman using the link at the bottom of this message and
> of course I didn't know what arbitrary password Mailman had assigned to me
> so I had to request it be sent.
>
> Well as we all know "things pass in the mail".
>
> Messages came flying back to me all at once... first I got the bounce
> messages stating that I couldn't post because this email address wasn't
> subscribed. (Huh? why was I receiving posts if I wasn't subscribed)
>
> Then I got a message assigning me my password. (which didn't work)
>
> Then messages stopped coming in....
>
> Then I went to the link below and re-subscribed and here I am today fat,
> stupid and ugly.... err I mean fat, dumb and happy.... :)
>
> I actually said that one day to a guy as I was meeting his newborn son....
> "Look at him sitting there all fat, stupid and ugly.... wait that's not
> right, how's that saying go...." sad thing is, that baby was ugly.....
>
>
> Now, we'll see how many are still reading. Does any body know where I can
> get a cheap Curtis programmer, either the 1311 handheld or the 1314 PC
> version? I have 4 Curtis 12xx controllers and they're pretty much useless
> without the programmer. I'm not going to pay retail for a Curtis
> programmer when a more powerful Alltrax controller is cheaper.
>
>
> --
> Stay Charged!
> Hump
> I-5
> '68 Squareback in progress
> '37 Ford Legends based tadpole trike in progress
>
>
>
>>Once disabled, the member
>> will not receive any postings from the list until their membership is
>> explicitly re-enabled, either by the list administrator or the user.
>> However, they will receive occasional reminders that their membership
>> has
>> been disabled, and these reminders will include information about how to
>> re-
>> enable their membership.
>>
>>
>> Currently the bounce score threshold is set quite low, at 1.5. After
>> disabling a large number of addresses the first few days, Mailman has
>> settled down to just a couple per day.
>>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>
>
> --
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> Version: 7.5.476 / Virus Database: 269.11.8/940 - Release Date: 8/6/2007
> 4:53 PM
>
>

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On 7 Aug 2007 at 7:27, Tim Humphrey wrote:

> When we made the switch to Mailman, this email address was in postpone mode.
> Mailman converted it back to mail mode. So I was receiveing all of the
> indivual messsages. ... I tried to reply to a couple of messages ...
> They didn't go through and I didn't get an error message ...
>
> Messages came flying back to me all at once... first I got the bounce
> messages stating that I couldn't post because this email address wasn't
> subscribed. (Huh? why was I receiving posts if I wasn't subscribed)
>
> Then I got a message assigning me my password. (which didn't work)
>
> Then messages stopped coming in....

I think I posted about this before, but I'll try to explain again.

When SJSU ported the old list over to Mailman, they were left with a batch of users who had
been subscribed through Listproc, but had NOMAIL or POSTPONE set. They sent a copy of
this list to me and Clyde Visser, the list owner, asking what they should do.

I'm not quite sure how it happened, but somewhere along the line someone suggested
transferring those nomail subscribers into Mailman without the NOMAIL flag and letting them
unsubscribe or again set nomail. I suggested that we contact each user and invite him to
resubscribe. Clyde concurred, but somehow the word didn't get to SJSU, or it got twisted
round somehow, and they took the first course instead, resubscribing the mass of NOMAIL
users all at once.

Up to that time, the new server had been settling in nicely. However, most of the leftover
NOMAIL subscribers were long gone, and so were their email addresses. This caused a
massive pileup in Mailman as it tried to deal with the blizzard of bounce notices coming back
to it. That pileup is the reason that you didn't receive any error messages or posts for several
hours. When SJSU realized what was happening, they backed out all the NOMAIL
subscribers, completely deleting their subscriptions.

When Mailman finally managed to clear out its queue, you received the error messages
telling you that you weren't subscribed - because, by the time it processed those replies, you
weren't. That's also why the password didn't work - it was assigned to an account that
suddenly no longer existed.

The server has stabilized nicely and response time is currently quite good.

However, if you used to have a second subscription that you used only for posting (an
antispam strategy for some people), and had it set for NOMAIL or POSTPONE, you will now
have to resubscribe that address and again set it for nomail.

David Roden
EVDL Administrator

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AHA I get it now....

I was trying to bring to the lurkers attention that they might not be able to post in the future. But by your explanation that was just a freak timing issue that I experienced and "they" wouldn't be receiving posts today if they hadn't already fixed their account.

So my post was moot.


Thanks David for all of your support to the EVDL!!


--
Stay Charged!
Hump
I-5, Blossvale NY

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On
> Behalf Of David Roden (Akron OH USA)
> Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 1:07 PM
> To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
> Subject: Re: [EVDL] Archives, Bounce Score, and Missing digests
>
> On 7 Aug 2007 at 7:27, Tim Humphrey wrote:
>
>> When we made the switch to Mailman, this email address was in postpone
> mode.
>> Mailman converted it back to mail mode. So I was receiveing all of the
>> indivual messsages. ... I tried to reply to a couple of messages ...
>> They didn't go through and I didn't get an error message ...
>>
>> Messages came flying back to me all at once... first I got the bounce
>> messages stating that I couldn't post because this email address
> wasn't
>> subscribed. (Huh? why was I receiving posts if I wasn't subscribed)
>>
>> Then I got a message assigning me my password. (which didn't work)
>>
>> Then messages stopped coming in....
>
> I think I posted about this before, but I'll try to explain again.
>
> When SJSU ported the old list over to Mailman, they were left with a
> batch of users who had
> been subscribed through Listproc, but had NOMAIL or POSTPONE set. They
> sent a copy of
> this list to me and Clyde Visser, the list owner, asking what they
> should do.
>
> I'm not quite sure how it happened, but somewhere along the line someone
> suggested
> transferring those nomail subscribers into Mailman without the NOMAIL
> flag and letting them
> unsubscribe or again set nomail. I suggested that we contact each user
> and invite him to
> resubscribe. Clyde concurred, but somehow the word didn't get to SJSU,
> or it got twisted
> round somehow, and they took the first course instead, resubscribing the
> mass of NOMAIL
> users all at once.
>
> Up to that time, the new server had been settling in nicely. However,
> most of the leftover
> NOMAIL subscribers were long gone, and so were their email addresses.
> This caused a
> massive pileup in Mailman as it tried to deal with the blizzard of
> bounce notices coming back
> to it. That pileup is the reason that you didn't receive any error
> messages or posts for several
> hours. When SJSU realized what was happening, they backed out all the
> NOMAIL
> subscribers, completely deleting their subscriptions.
>
> When Mailman finally managed to clear out its queue, you received the
> error messages
> telling you that you weren't subscribed - because, by the time it
> processed those replies, you
> weren't. That's also why the password didn't work - it was assigned to
> an account that
> suddenly no longer existed.
>
> The server has stabilized nicely and response time is currently quite
> good.
>
> However, if you used to have a second subscription that you used only
> for posting (an
> antispam strategy for some people), and had it set for NOMAIL or
> POSTPONE, you will now
> have to resubscribe that address and again set it for nomail.
>
> David Roden
> EVDL Administrator
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev


_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"David Roden (Akron OH USA)" writes:
>
> When SJSU ported the old list over to Mailman, they were left with a
> batch of users who had been subscribed through Listproc, but had NOMAIL
> or POSTPONE set. They sent a copy of this list to me and Clyde Visser,
> the list owner, asking what they should do.
...
> Up to that time, the new server had been settling in nicely. However,
> most of the leftover NOMAIL subscribers were long gone, and so were their
> email addresses.

David,

It's too late now, but should you ever have the pleasure of migrating a
mailing list in the future, the method I've had the best success with is
to start the new list and send mail to the old list describing how to
subscribe to the new list. Some time later, send mail to the old list
indicating that it will be shut down at some point. Then simply shut it
down at that point.

This automatically weeds out the invalid/dead/unused e-mail addresses
instead of forcing the issue on the admins or the new list server.

Ralph

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top