DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much is 1 charging station? I know this is subjective based on
technology and there are multiple sizes and types. But I'm curious,
which technologies cost what. Can someone provide a list, or a link to a
list, where one can view the costs of a station? I found this:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-9996353-54.html Which states the
charging station is only around $2000, yet on Wikipedia has a station
listed as much as $63,000. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charging_station

So how much are charging stations, really?

Regards,
Eric




_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
both are in the ballpark. The EVSE is around 2k$ and fast charge
stations could very well be in the 60k$, depending on power.


Eric <[email protected]> wrote:
> How much is 1 charging station? I know this is subjective based on
> technology and there are multiple sizes and types. But I'm curious,
> which technologies cost what. Can someone provide a list, or a link to a
> list, where one can view the costs of a station? I found this:
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-9996353-54.html Which states the
> charging station is only around $2000, yet on Wikipedia has a station
> listed as much as $63,000. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charging_station
>
> So how much are charging stations, really?
>
> Regards,
> Eric
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> | REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> | OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>



--
www.electric-lemon.com

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About a year ago, I sat through a sales presentation by http://www.coulombtech.com/
We were trying to get the local transit authority to install them
at the park and ride lots.

At that time each charge station was about 5,000. A solar powered
charge station was about 20,000. This included both a 110 outlet and a
J1772 outlet.

The only thing I do not like about this station is it will only carry
30 amps. The J1772 spec is good for up to 80 amps.

KJD
http://www.evalbum.com/3175


Eric wrote:

> How much is 1 charging station? I know this is subjective based on
> technology and there are multiple sizes and types. But I'm curious,
> which technologies cost what. Can someone provide a list, or a link
> to a
> list, where one can view the costs of a station? I found this:
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-9996353-54.html Which states the
> charging station is only around $2000, yet on Wikipedia has a station
> listed as much as $63,000. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charging_station
>
> So how much are charging stations, really?
>
> Regards,
> Eric
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> | REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> | OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lee Hart wrote:

> Same with EVs. Calling them "charging stations" disguises the fact that
> they are nothing but outdoor AC outlets, which already exist in the
> millions. Giving them a new name lets you charge more, I guess.

Yes. I'm going to resist buying a "home charging station" for my Leaf.
It seems they (Nissan) are trying to force a "home charging station
evaluation", at a $100 charge, before they continue the car buying
process. I intend to explore my options for 220v charging and live
with 110v charging after I take delivery. Amusingly, Nissan refers to
their 110v charger, almost certainly ~1500w, as a "trickle charger".
No doubt to push their "charging stations".

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
http://counter.li.org Linux registered user #228836 since 1995
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 18 days 2 hours 11 minutes

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first 2 EV's I built had 110 chargers on them. They are low cost
and they will work if you leave them on overnight.

My current EV has a Manzanita charger that will take 240 volts and 30
amps. This charger is almost 4 times faster than the 110 charger and
15 amps I had on the VW. This allows me to drive lots in the morning,
go home for lunch and charge in about an hour. After lunch I can drive
more in the afternoon with a full battery pack.

The larger the battery pack the longer it takes to recharge and for
this reason I would recommend you spend the extra money for the Nissan
charge station. You will be able to use the car a lot more that way.

KJD

http://www.evalbum.com/3175


Willie McKemie wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 11:51:17PM -0500, Lee Hart wrote:
>
>> Same with EVs. Calling them "charging stations" disguises the fact
>> that
>> they are nothing but outdoor AC outlets, which already exist in the
>> millions. Giving them a new name lets you charge more, I guess.
>
> Yes. I'm going to resist buying a "home charging station" for my
> Leaf.
> It seems they (Nissan) are trying to force a "home charging station
> evaluation", at a $100 charge, before they continue the car buying
> process. I intend to explore my options for 220v charging and live
> with 110v charging after I take delivery. Amusingly, Nissan refers to
> their 110v charger, almost certainly ~1500w, as a "trickle charger".
> No doubt to push their "charging stations".

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kyle Dansie wrote:
>
> The larger the battery pack the longer it takes to recharge and for
> this reason I would recommend you spend the extra money for the Nissan
> charge station. You will be able to use the car a lot more that way.
>
> KJD
>
> http://www.evalbum.com/3175

I am driving an EV with longer range and higher pack capacity than
the Leaf:
http://www.evalbum.com/2314
and am primarily using a 1500 watt charger. I haven't found the power
use of the Leaf "trickle charger", but I suspect it is about 1500
watts. I just object to the foofa and cost associated with "home
charging stations". I will be seeking alternatives for 220v 3.3KW
charging after we get the car.

BTW, I did get the "home charging station" evaluation requirement
by-passed and did get a Leaf ordered. Here in Texas, delivery should
be "soon" after December.

The only option I considered was the $700 "fast charge" which I presume
is just a bigger on-board charger. Since I know NOTHING about the
future locations of fast charging stations, I declined that option.

Incidentally, this summer my Hyundai has been used primarily to deliver
my farm produce, which I typically pack in used banana boxes, to
grocery stores. Most routes are about 90 miles, the longest is
about 115 miles. While the Hyundai is limited to 9 banana boxes, it
looks like the Leaf might hold 12-14.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
http://counter.li.org Linux registered user #228836 since 1995
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 19 days 3 hours 03 minutes

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These look interesting and the price is less than some others out there.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2010/10/wattstation-20101002.html



Eric wrote:

> How much is 1 charging station? I know this is subjective based on
> technology and there are multiple sizes and types. But I'm curious,
> which technologies cost what. Can someone provide a list, or a link
> to a
> list, where one can view the costs of a station? I found this:
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-9996353-54.html Which states the
> charging station is only around $2000, yet on Wikipedia has a station
> listed as much as $63,000. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charging_station
>
> So how much are charging stations, really?
>
> Regards,
> Eric
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> | REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
> | Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
> | UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
> | OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
> | OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev

_______________________________________________
| REPLYING: address your message to [email protected] only.
| Multiple-address or CCed messages may be rejected.
| UNSUBSCRIBE: http://www.evdl.org/help/index.html#usub
| OTHER HELP: http://evdl.org/help/
| OPTIONS: http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top