DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a post on there http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221 where they were talking about how maybe someone could set up something where there is both a forum and a mail-based interface in one. I don't feel like it's my place to tell the list anything as I'm not trying to wreck it, but maybe someone should mention that we do have mailing list integration here?

·
Registered
207 Posts
It's been a number of years since I posted or read the EVDL, but as I've mentioned elsewhere, the antiquated listserv format was a major decision to discontinue it's use.

Look at the EVDL threads, and you'll see endless repeated quoting of the text that the writer is responding to. This is due in part to laziness and being unaware that multiple quotes are being sent out when replying, but also because with the listserv format, and particularly on very busy lists, it's easy to loose track of what they reply is about without quoting and few users bother to <snip> quotes so that there is text to give context, but not the entire quote, including signatures and provider adverts.

I have vey high hopes for this forum because it integrates the best of modern communication software (the forum) AND because being new, it will allow users to break out of the old way of doing things. "Why change it? It's worked this way for 90 years, I hate learning new stuff"...etc.

The ability to post images and live hyperlinks in text, and well as formatting and attachments, priceless. I wonder how many of the EVDL users who prefer the listserv format use Wordperfect 5.1 and print on dot-matrix printers?

Welcome to the new face of EV community. Everyone is welcome!

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do think that it's an extremely valuable resource, which is why I hacked together some scripts to pull the posts in to this forum. This way we can communicate in a more organized fashion AND see info from that list all in one spot. I pulled the RAV4 list in as well but don't know of any others that are too active at the moment.

I'm considering adding a wiki with a couple of very knowledgeable, skilled and dedicated users to maintain it. I don't want it to be 100% open because of the bias and spam potential. As soon as we find a few people we can trust that are going to really do it some justice, we'll get that started.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Trying out the "quick reply" feature.

Don't know how bulletproof vBulletin is as far as bot registration and spam goes, but would it be secure enough to have the Wikki editable only by registered uses of this forum? Perhaps users past a certain number of posts?

I was thinking this morning that I could contribute a couple of DIY tech articles about instrumentation that I have in my head. These could simply be posts, but could also go into the Wikki.

·
Average Joe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes we would definitely limit the wiki editing to registered users, and maybe we should just leave it at that for now and not worry about excessive moderation of the changes.

What's the best wiki software? Still wikiwiki in perl? I haven't looked for that in years... I've run moinmoin which is python but it had less features. What's wikipedia running now?

Also I saw mention of the EVDL List feed we have on the list and just wanted to comment that you can't post to the list from the forum. I decided that was just too much liability. I stripped the emails and made it one-way communication for now. At least we can reference posts and link to information internally.

I still don't have a plan on pulling in the 8 billion archives...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts