DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if the terminology is incorrect I'm still learning.

Is there an advantage to running two of the same motors inline over running
them in
parallel?

If they are parallel (side by side) how much loss is associated with the
coupling of the
two motors in this way instead of mounting them inline?

Thanks for the input.

_________________________________________________________________
More photos, more messages, more storage—get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail.
http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_mini_2G_0507
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Joe,

My take is the end to end method, coupled shafts or on
the same shaft, would essentially be zero coupling
loss. And the side by side method would have some
coupling loss, in the chain or gears or whatever. But
that loss should be very small and be associated with
just half the total power.

Overall, if you use a good chain or gears, I really do
not think you'd be able to tell the difference in
efficency between the two methods. My guess is
something maybe like 1 percent. Choice is usually
dictated by space constraints in the vehicle.

The Killacycle uses the side-by-side with a chain.
White Zombie uses the end-to-end, on the same shaft.
Take a look at those web sites.

Hope that helps,

Jeff M



--- Joe Plumer <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sorry if the terminology is incorrect I'm still
> learning.
>
> Is there an advantage to running two of the same
> motors inline over running
> them in
> parallel?
>
> If they are parallel (side by side) how much loss is
> associated with the
> coupling of the
> two motors in this way instead of mounting them
> inline?
>
> Thanks for the input.
>




____________________________________________________________________________________
Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more.
http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anybody know if the DE bearings are sized to handle the side loads that must
be created by the belt or chain, or are there additional external bearings
used to handle that when motors are coupled side to side?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Major" <[email protected]>
To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2007 8:50 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Inline or Parallel Motor configuration


>
> Hi Joe,
>
> My take is the end to end method, coupled shafts or on
> the same shaft, would essentially be zero coupling
> loss. And the side by side method would have some
> coupling loss, in the chain or gears or whatever. But
> that loss should be very small and be associated with
> just half the total power.
>
> Overall, if you use a good chain or gears, I really do
> not think you'd be able to tell the difference in
> efficency between the two methods. My guess is
> something maybe like 1 percent. Choice is usually
> dictated by space constraints in the vehicle.
>
> The Killacycle uses the side-by-side with a chain.
> White Zombie uses the end-to-end, on the same shaft.
> Take a look at those web sites.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Jeff M
>
>
>
> --- Joe Plumer <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Sorry if the terminology is incorrect I'm still
>> learning.
>>
>> Is there an advantage to running two of the same
>> motors inline over running
>> them in
>> parallel?
>>
>> If they are parallel (side by side) how much loss is
>> associated with the
>> coupling of the
>> two motors in this way instead of mounting them
>> inline?
>>
>> Thanks for the input.
>>
>
>
>
>
> ____________________________________________________________________________________
> Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail,
> news, photos & more.
> http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
>
> _______________________________________________
> For subscription options, see
> http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
>
>


_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
> Anybody know if the DE bearings are sized to handle the side loads that
> must
> be created by the belt or chain, or are there additional external bearings
> used to handle that when motors are coupled side to side?

This one comes up time and time again on the list.

The DE bearings tend to be pretty beefy.

The highest load rating for a deep groove ball race is the radial (sideways)
one. Go look it up on any bearing site. The axial loading is also about 25%
of that, so isn't in any danger from the end loading from any sane poundage
clutch plate, so lets put that one to bed as well.

Take a look at Otmar's 914 with a pair of 9" ADC motors belted together and
enough torque to blow a 911 type transaxle before he upgraded to a 930 turbo
one.

What has sometimes proved a problem on the Corbin Sparrow (wide belt with
quite a bit of overhang on the pulley) is that the belt loading bends the
shaft and puts a 'tilt' load on the output bearing, which can cause
premature failure.

Paul Compton
www.evguru.co.uk
www.sciroccoev.co.uk
www.bvs.org.uk
www.morini-mania.co.uk
www.compton.vispa.com/the_named

_______________________________________________
For subscription options, see
http://lists.sjsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/ev
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top